Guys, do you think it's desperate if a girl asks you to match your vest with her prom dress?

I asked my from date if he wanted to accent his tuxedo with a matching tie and vest. I'm not sure if I sounded too clingy/desperate... I just thought it would look cute because we are going together. I told him to let me know if he doesn't think it'll work.

Any opinions? My dress is chocolate brown, so it's not like I'm telling him to wear any ridiculous colors. Do you think a traditional black and white tuxedo set would look better?

We aren't in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• I probably would have done it at your age. Of course I had no taste or backbone then.

It does look cute. You two being a little matchy matchy couple. Is that really how you think he should look?

• I sound bitchy, I mean you two do what you want. But for the record this is only a 'tradition' since most men decided to not learn how to dress themselves, and prom I guess is a handoff point from their mommy dressing them for 'important' occasions to their gf/wife doing it.

• link

Would it look cute if he matched his date? Probably. Would it look better? Well, we all have our own opinions on aesthetics I suppose ...

What Guys Said 4

• Well, it is promi and dates tend to match for prom. I don't think it's desperate. My girlfriend asked me to match with her for prom and I told her that I knew I had to match with her. Unless your date already has a tux before you told him that. You may have a problem then:p

• Not really.

• Not really that's what your suppose to do, it's traditionall

• Eh, on prom night? No. On any non-formal occasion? Yes. Formalwear ought to match one's date. Now if you ask him to coordinate for a dinner and movie, then that's a little oppressive.

Either way, though, if you get the vibe that he thinks it's weird, then drop the matter and let him be free. You aren't dating, and it's not like you are meeting the president or anything, so dressing to impress is just fun, not necessity. Don't stress about it.

What Girls Said 2

• Lol that's what everyone usually does. Don't worry about it. I think you'd look more out of place if you didn't match.

• No I don't think it will be seen as desperate. You're suppose to match on prom night! :)