Is this affecting my dating (or lack thereof) life?

Some people say that I'm pretty/attractive (that's subjective though of course) and I'm a nice person (for the most part haha) but I don't have a boyfriend... I'm 20 and I never really have. I'm not as social as I'd like to be and I'm terribly shy and a little awkward. But I also hear that I always "look mad" and people usually assume I'm stuck up. I don't know how to control the look on my face. But do you think all this makes me sound unapproachable and that could be a reason why I'm not dating anyone?

Most Helpful Guy

• You're definitely an attractive girl. You would be lying to say that no guy has ever approached you or tried to talk to you (some guys will do it anyway, even if the girl looks mean and stuckup). So my first tip would be to not be so picky (obviously these men got turned down by you). My next tip would be to be very friendly when a guy tries to talk to you, and also it would help for you to start being the one to initiate conversation if you think guys are too afraid to do so. Just be very friendly and nice when you do, trust me, no straight guy will dismiss you if you try and talk to him. You're a pretty girl and any guy would totally appreciate you trying to talk to him so you have nothing to be afraid of. If it's awkward for you to approach first, just say something about the situation that would start conversation: if he's reading a book, just be like "so is that a good book?", yeah, it could be obvious that you're just trying to talk to him and not really trying to see if the book he's reading is good, but that's okay, that's the point. If he knows you're trying to talk, then he'll start putting in effort too.

What Guys Said 3

• the only difference in us is that I'm a guy and your a girl I get the same opinions from people. they never know how outgoing I am until I make a joke or the happen to see me smiling listening to music. but me looking mean a lot of girls like that look but are scared to act a surtain way around me.like I'm put them on blast if they say something stupid.. I'm working on just random convos with any girl and holding stares longer. but smilings the hardest cause I think all the stress made my face the way it is.

• if you are generally friendly with everyone guys will be more likely to approach you

but you can always approach men as well so you can't really say that's the reason you aren't dating

just go out find a guy that interests you and try to have a conversation with him and see where it goes :)

• Well it must not be one of your main priorities and if you have a standoffish look then being attractive just makes it more noticeable witch might resort to looking stuck up, I'm a guy with that issue but girls don't approach guys anyway

What Girls Said 2

• Some people naturally have a "mad" look on their face that may make them seem more unapproachable. And you can control it. You can smile right? or at least have a coy look? I want you to practice in the mirror. Really look at yourself. Do you look mad to yourself? Smile at yourself and see if you look more approachable. Practice finding the looks that you personally find appealing or even take pics of yourself. You can be aware of how you look. If you feel your mouth turning down, be conscious of it and perk it up a bit. It's just muscles! You can also exercise the muscles in your face by smiling then frowning and making different funny faces.

As for the shy part I would like you to practice not being shy! Start saying hi to at least 5 people a day and smile at them! Smiles light up the world and make other people feel good. It may make you uncomfortable, but you can do it. Just keep it up!

If you like my answer, please follow me on twitter!

link

Love,

Dina

• We are in the same boat lol...and I try not to look mad but the only way I can is if I walk around smiling, but who wants to do that? My facial muscles would be very sore!