My best friend asked me out? Help!

My best friend and love of my life, Jack, asked me out earlier. I told him I need some time to think, but I don't know what to say. I'm in love with him. If I say yes and we break up, It could ruin our 8 year long friendship. But it would be worth it while it lasted. But if I say no, I'm afraid he'll move on, and forget about me. What should I do?! Any personal experience stories? Anything will be greatly appreciated!

Most Helpful Guy

• Ehhhh I've been in this position.. It didn't workout but after some time we are friends again. I mean 8 years is a long time and I am sure he has thought the same. So, go for it!

• Great advice(: Thanks!

• No relationship will last without it... If you can't express yourself with the person you love... Who can you express it to?

What Guys Said 8

• So you rather go through the anguish of possibly losing a friend, than the anguish of a missed love with someone you clearly have feelings for? I just don't see the logic.

I think females put a higher emphasis on friendships than men do. Women are better when it comes to forming and keeping friendships, as a result it seems that many women seem to put a friendship at a higher priority or level of enjoyment than a relationship. Guys on the other hand its the other way around, so most men have no problem with running the risk of ruining a friendship in order to have the potential for a great romantic relationship.

• do it damnit , girl . you both have feelings for each other , how do you think it will continue - if you don't do it you'll regret it and you'll either be left with that feeling or grow apart .

just go with it and see where it goes and don't like freak out before somthing happend. take chances and stop thinking...

life's too short for it

• The most dreaded words in the world for every man are "I'm sorry, I like you too much as a friend."

Consider this well.

• say yes because if you say no he's not gonna talk to you nearly as much, and he's got massive balls for asking you out

• Well.. you got nothing to lose... actually you got.

But think about it this way - even if it won't work out when you'll be dating, what would it tell about your friendship?

So if your friendship is stable, cool and strong... there's just no way it won't work out between you.

Also it's pointless to be "only-friends" forever despite willing it to be something more...

So just go for it.

• Go for it. You only live once, and you don't want to think back on this later in life and wonder "What if?" Take a chance. :]

• Whatever happened with this?

• We stayed as just best friends. We still love each other very much, but we decided to wait until we are both ready for a relationship(:

• So, you're using your current boyfriend

• No, this question is from a while ago. Way before me and this guy were dating.

• I just say take a chance with the guy. He wouldn't hurt you if you been friends for eight years. Trust me.

Answer mine please? link

What Girls Said 3

• This happened to me with my best friend of 18 yrs. I spoke to him about it & just said that I would never, ever want to lose him for a friend, that it meant too much to me & I just couldn't bear the thought of messing that up if things went wrong. Then we talked about that this really shouldn't be awkward between us since we've d/cd it about others & we know each other too well. We agreed & I told him that if he ever brought it up again, I'd have to kill him & hide his dead body in the field behind my house. He agreed. :D

• You should defiantly go for it if you love him than you need to be with him. I know from person experience that best friends make the best boyfriends. I'm dating mine now and we have been dating for a year and a half and he is the best thing in my life. We have the best time together. So don't be afraid to take that chance. Go for it! You only have one chance!

• I dated my best friend from 8 years and it didn't work out. He lied to me and cheated so we lost our friendship. I knew he would cheat on his girlfriend because obviously I was his friend but he said he'll never do that to me because I meant a lot to him so we dated for a year and when things got serious I found out all this things. You only know him and if you think it will be worth it go for it if not thank just keep his friendship.