Decode this text, please

From a guy I've kinda been hanging out with. He's really touchy-feely with me when we are together, but nothing beyond cuddly touching has happened. Texted him after we were at the bars with 2 others to say I had a good time. This was his response:

"Well I understand basically wanna kiss you. Good job. Now I gotta friend zone you so we don't make this weird.. :)"

Umm, to me that screams mixed message. What's your take on it?

Any additional questions, I'll answer them. Trying to keep it simple.

Most Helpful Guy

• He's missing a word in there, and the smiley may been he's kidding entirely. IMO, he wants to go further, but he's unsure how fast you're comfortable with, and he's looking for some guidence from you on that point.

What Guys Said 1

• Ask him what he means

What Girls Said 3

• WTF...maybe he is trying to say that he wants to kiss you, but is afraid to do it because he's afraid things well be weird afterward and he wants to just be friends at this point. LOL I kind of just said exactly what he said in the message so I don't know if this helps at all :).

• Yeah ask him what he means by that.. I'm pretty sure he was making a joke though.

• Send a reply text saying, "But I don't want to be in your friend zone :)" and see what he says.

• It sounds like he was just trying to be playful. What did you respond to him?