If you had a son, what kind of dating advice would you give him?

Would you give him dating advice that tailors rules of thumb and principles that cater towards protecting the best interest of the girls he is dating, or

Would you give him dating advice that tailors rules of thumb and principles that cater towards protecting his best interests?

Note: as his mother, to what degree, if any, would you warn your son about the dangers or negative aspects of the girls or women he may encounter in dating? Would you be honest? Would you be semi-honest in the fear that he may judge you as a woman? Or would you paint women in a false light out of either complete fear that your own son might judge you, or in order to try and shelter him and instill in him ideals he should strive to seek and find the the opposite gender?

• Dating advice that caters to the best interest of the girls he's dating
  • Dating advice that caters to my son's best interest
Okay, to prevent a collection of lame answers:

Yes, there will always be some interest that overlap. Yes, in a perfect or idea world, everyone's interest would perfectly overlap.

Now, in the real world, male and female interests do not overlap. From paying for dates, all the way to issues regarding sex, interests are at odds. What is great for one sex is not so great for the other. So, with that in mind, try not to waste time or space by giving a weasel or fluffy answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd give him advise that caters to his best interests. It is in his best interest to pick decent girls, and avoid playing around too much. however it is also good for boys who are curious to experiment especially before marriage to get that stuff out of their system. I would advise him to try to be a good boyfriend but to also watch for signs that he may not be with a decent girl. AFTER ALL. most of society protects women, it's not only women that need protection and guidance. Men do too. Therefore Men need to be taught how to care for themselves and how to avoid strange women just as women are taught to do the same when picking boys.

What Girls Said 11

• Your own child is usually your priority, whether or not they are the same gender as you. If I had a son, I would look out for his best interest above all. To me, though, that doesn't mean painting a negative picture of women. I would never aim to instill in him fear or hostility towards the opposite gender. I don't think that's healthy or beneficial. However, I would not hesitate to teach him that there are "bad" people of both genders, and that it is easy to get hurt when your heart is involved. I would encourage him to be careful.

• girls can be just as bad as guys. girls should be warned about guys and guys should be warned about girls. I know you're saying the best interests of the two don't overlap but really to me they do. if the girl he dates is a manipulative diva, it is still in her best interest to warn him against being with her because maybe it will make her change her attitude, making her more desirable and a better person. the two go hand in hand, even if you don't want them to.

• Why can't the best interests of the girls he's dating coexist with his best interests?

Of course I'm gonna love my son and wanna protect him so I'll give him the female game so to speak and warn him about all the possible dangers. But I'll also teach him how to treat a deserving woman when it comes time for him to settle down. He can hook up and have fun as long as he's responsible and doesn't maliciously hurt anyone.

• Paying for dates= don't agree to go on dates with girls unless you could potentially see her as your girlfriend. that means he should be a good judge of character. and yes he should pay. during the courting phase. but check for possible selfish behaviors she may display or to see if she has a sense of entitlement. ask yourself if the girl likes you and wants to be with you, or is she using you for attention/money? you should be able to have a good idea what kind of girl likes you and what kind of girl doesn't care about anyone but herself. don't date the latter

be honest about your intentions. plenty of girls will still f*** even if you let them know you're not looking for a relationship. don't lie and lead a girl on if you don't truly like her, but don't feel like you have to get into relationships if that's not what you truly want. find the girls who want the same thing as you.

anymore?

• I would say if you really want to teach your son how to treat a woman, you have to look out for HER interests but at the same time look at your sons. I think BOTH need to be cared for lol and if there's anything toxic in either one of them it's probably best to stay out? I mean I'd have to give my son warnings and tell him "shes no good" and not let him see her but I'd also say "hey you shouldn't treat her like that" so he knows how to be good to her lol dunno

• My son, cause he's my son. I'm hoping that he would be a respectful kid who knew how to treat women and not some a**hole. I'm not going to help him be an a**hole, I'd give him legit dating advice.

• I'd always do it for my son's best interest rather than the girls interest. I would always look out for my son, and he would come first rather than the girls he is potentially going to date.

• My sons best interest. Although I would never condone cheating or abuse. I would still want him to be respectful and a decent human even if he and his girl broke up.

• I would teach him how to respect women, but not be a doormat. He would know all the tricks and traps other women might try on him, and I would let a male relative that is in love tell him a mans point of view.

• My advice would benefit both my son and the girls because I'd teach him to respect women...something quite lacking in many men I've met...

• I would teach him how to treat a girl. But I'd also teach him how to look out for himself, not let him get taken advantage of.

What Guys Said 6

• Interesting question.

I imagine my advice would be more along the lines of how to treat a girl, and to call him out if he's not treating his girlfriend appropriately (not returning a phone call, talking rudely to her, being late for dates, etc.).

If I saw something going on that was obviously hurting him, I would step in, but in general I think I'd be more likely to let him figure things out for himself as far as handling his own happiness.

• Honestly? Dating advice that's in his best interest, but still treating the girl with courtesy. If I found my boy was using women and lying and cheating I'd probably get the belt.

• don't rush into something you're not ready for

don't hurt anyone for selfish reasons.. now go have fun

• Doesn't apply since I have a daughter. Trying to discourage her from dating guys who string her along but she's a sucker for attention right now. Not sure how to assure her that there are LOTS of guys and she doesn't have to settle for second best. She has made every indication she's most likely straight so I only have to deal with guys. The latest just dumped her again. But she's only 11.

I do try to remind her that I reached puberty at 11 and was as horny as they get at that age so beware.

• The same my father gave to me. If you get married insist on one night out with the boys & don't be foolish enough to spend it with the boys.

• Always look out for yourself first, son! Girls can be evil too.