Who should pay on a date?

Who should pay when you go out on a date? Personally I'd say the guy, but if the girl is the one that asked him out that might change things.

Most Helpful Guy

• The one who did the asking should pay.

What Guys Said 5

• Whoever asks out the other one should pay. Otherwise us guys would be getting girls asking us our all the time, just to get a free night on the town. It only takes a few women to hurt a lot of men like that. Some people prefer to go dutch and that is alright with most guys. It isn't that we mind paying, we just want to know we are not being used, just like a woman wants to know she isn't being used.

Try thinking about it like this. If women don't want to be forced into a gender role, then why would men want to be forced into one? Equality is a two way street.

• Logically speaking the first few days should go dutch. It isn't as romantic, but it allows both parties to leave without the subconscious sense of "owing" that often comes with one person paying. Even if they don't realize it, the person who paid often develops an entitlement complex which is one of the main reasons men become sexually aggressive or try to push for physical intimacy early on. So from a psychological standpoint, dutch is ideal.

But in my opinion, the person who asked and chose the date location should be the one to pay. Mainly because they subconsciously selected a location that fits into their budget without any real consideration for the budget of the person they're asking.

It's all logic, really.

• Whoever wants to pay.

• A female friend of mine told me that she offers to pay on the first date. If the guy lets her, she gets pissed and there will be no second date. When I asked her why she offers to pay in the first place, she told me it's something like a test.

I paid roughly 75% of the time on my dates. I had a policy that I would offer to pay. If she then offered, I would say something along the lines of, "Oh, that's OK. It's my pleasure." If she continued to offer I let her take the check.

• The one who has the most cash.

What Girls Said 2

• It should be equal. He pays one day and then you pay the other day.

• Whoever wants to pay! My boyfriend does not allow me to pay for him, I have to beg him to let me pay for him. He sees it as him taking care of me and he enjoys doing it.

• I'm guilty of this, actually, I always make girls let me pay, even though I gave this answer 7 minutes before you did, LOL.

• I know lol, I saw it! That's the first answer that came to my head before opening the question and then I smiled/thumbed up your answer when I saw you had already said it. That's why I added the little personal bit about my boyfriend to make it different.