Have you ever dated someone who was clearly less attractive than you are?

I know everybody says that they would date someone less attractive than themselves if their personality was good, but I'm wondering how many people have actually clearly done this before.

I know it's hard to determine if you're "more attractive" than someone of the opposite gender, but I'm really talking about cases where it's clear that you could do better in terms of looks and you decided not to.

How did it turn out? Did you end up having higher expectations of other things from him/her?

Most Helpful Girl

• I dated someone less attractive than me, I didn't know I was attractive until my co-workers were all telling me "he's too ugly for you, you can do so much better than him" (looks wise).

But at the time I didn't care how he looked, I liked him before he liked me and one day out of nowhere he just asked for my number and then he told me he always thought I was cute.

He worked with my sister in a pharmacy 2 years ago and I used to go to her store to pick her up and I would see him every time I'd get there. I was too shy to talk to him, but he was the one who made a move and we dated for 8 months. He wasn't the sweet and caring person I had met anymore, he turned into a big a**hole later.

The relationship was good, we had great sexual attraction and never had trouble going out, seeing each other or talking even. We always told each other if something was bothering us. But one awful day it all crashed into tiny little pieces...He broke me physically, I wasn't the sweet girl anymore and because of him I was left cynical and bitter...

So that's that.

• i hope that the guy in your profile pic isn't who dated who was less attractive..because you most a super triple model then :) hhaa

What Girls Said 10

• According to my friends (and his) my boyfriend currently is 10000x less attractive than me. Even his parents think this! I don't see it. I think he's drop dead sexy but according to the general public they have no idea how he picked me up 'cause I guess I'm too good for him. This is just what people have told me. Not a day goes by that I don't feel blessed and honored to be with him, but of the two of us, I guess the public deems me more attractive. Does that make sense?

• Apparently I have but honestly I am all about a guy's confidence factor and I don't have a physical type other than being fit, so I have dated guys with all different appearances. I cannot recall dating anyone that would be considered very unattractive but I have not dated many guys that would be consider highly attractive, well not to many other women. I tend to avoid pretty boys and prefer a confident fit man to a handsome and-he-knows-it guy any day.

• Honestly, this sounds weird but; I'm MORE attracted to "ugly" guys. Like.. I can't be attracted to good looking guys! They're sexy as hell to me of course, but I can tell that they're actually "ugly" to everyone else. I might look to "good" for the person, but I don't give a damn cause I think ugly guys are the new sexy :D!

• Once you really get to know someone, perception of "attractiveness" tends to depends more heavily on how you know them. It becomes less of what they look like and more of who they are to you.

It'd be hard for me to rate someone's attractiveness compared to myself because I'm my own worst critic, so it'd be an extremely filtered lens to try and judge against.

Someone else would have to make objective comparisons, not those involved.

• I know what you mean for me a girl either becomes way more attractive or becomes meh after she starts talking.

• No, I was the " less attractive" person . The first time it failed because I didn't "take pride in how I looked" the second were married. It's working out ok

• Yes...and we had 7 years of "relationship" but it was really awkward, he was all the time feeling less than me that he started making me think I was ugly too at the point I gained 60 pounds and made me feel very ugly, then with the time he broke up with me, but I'd lose weight and he wanted to come back to me, saying I was really beautiful, much better than the past, of course I rejected him...now no one will never do that again with me, I learned.

• The thing with looks are that it is very subjective if you take away the media influence in my humble opinion.

They way a person looks to you is more important and you wouldn't date them or waste their time if you didn't find them in the least bit sexually attractive.

Then add the compatibility factor in personality with the goals similar to yours and waam you got a match! I think?

• No one is less attractive than me, so I don't know how to determined that. I'm not vain when it comes to the opposite gender looks, only mine.

• Um I did. I was always told I could do better by EVERYONE. So annoying. But anyway yeah we didn't last long. Not because he was less attractive than me but because he had problems with himself

• Its not hard to determine if your extremely good looking sometime, because they almost everyone will notice..But see what you saying!

What Guys Said 5

• i try to not think about things like that because no one is above any one else in the relationship. I may have lowered my standards a bit in order to give them a try, but its either I find them attractive or I don't, that's it.

People want to say things like that because they have an insecurity and they are somewhat narcissistic to hide their insecurities of their looks.

I have dated someone who I wasn't clearly attracted to but that was mistake because I wasted her time and my own when we both could of found someone who wouldn't of wasted our time.

• I have. She was the coolest, most confident and most secure girl I've ever dated

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Ugly and very cool girl---> just friends

Good looking and very cool---> girlfriend

Good looking but not cool---> nothing

Ugly inside and outside---> nothing at all

• Nope because I'm always gonna be ugly compare to, other people?