Is online dating for losers?

Where I'm from, and most of my friends tell me, match.com and eharmony are for desperate people and those who can't get people in real life. Is Online dating considered pathetic for somebody in their early 20s? Any insight?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's what I used to think until I met someone online, with no intention of things getting romantic, and found that I had a stronger, more intense connection with him than I had with over half the guys I've dated. I'm a lucky girl who's had chances with gorgeous, successful, athletic guys yet simply just didn't click with them all like that. Then the guy I click with like that, can talk to for hours, never feel the pressure to lie to be perfect or hide pieces of myself, someone who I have an effortless connection with is someone I met online online who lives in another country. So it just goes to show that when it comes to having a special type of connection, it can be found anywhere.

I also think that you really shouldn't judge. Some people who try dating sites like eharmony are, for whatever reason, intimidated by dating. Maybe they got their heart broken. Some people have really busy schedules and don't feel like they have the time to truly date so they get online and do it. You can't just judge someone and call them a loser and assume that they are pathetic for dating online.

• Well my experience f***ing sucked.

• Dre, maybe you just got handed a crappy female? or maybe it was just bad timing? Just because you have one bad experience with it doesn't mean everyone else's experience isn't going to be worthy.

What Girls Said 3

• Honestly their are 7 billion people on this earth, you've got to meet that one person some way. There is nothing wrong with online dating, though meeting people in person is a better way to be social, but if you don't have time for that than go for online dating.

• Well I don't know about 20's but I know that being a busy person means you don't meet many different people. Online dating can be good because you can sort of "screen" people before even talking on the phone with them.

• not necessarily but there are some weird people online.

What Guys Said 5

• by a lot of people on the outside looking in, yes. doesn't mean it doesn't work though. you have to try what you feel is going to help you get to where you want to be. it's a lot easier breaking the ice through a website for some people than if they were to approach in real life. everyone who signed up there has a common goal in mind basically: find someone to be with.

the down side, especially for guys, is..it's the internet, playground of the creepiest of creeper dudes. so a girl is going to be a lot more wary about who this new guy messaging her today is.

• I'd say online dating is pretty pathetic, but then again... I think people's psychological need for "love" is pathetic

• well that sounds a bit sociopathic.

A baby's psychological need for love is pathetic?

A father who works hard to provide a good life for his wife and children yet has a psychological need for love is pathetic?

Someone who spend their entire life alone, feeling unwanted and has a psychological need for love is pathetic?

Or maybe you're lack of compassion and lonely fate is pathetic

• Not to gang up on Loki, but actually its in our psychology to feel the need to be loved. Its typical of teenagers and people in their early twenties to say "Ill never fall in love" but it'll eventually happen. Also, just because some of us want somebody to love doesn't mean we hate on people who don't. Also, don't say "you humans" It makes you sound too into comic books lol

• One, I'm not targeting anyone here with that comment. I just grow tired of seeing that sh*t all around me. Sorry if I seemed like I was directing that at anyone.

As for the question asker, I am 100% sure I know what I'm talking about when I say, I have actually hated romance and been uninterested in sex as long as I can remember. Not sure if that was forever or really bad influence but I feel I was not meant to mate, especially noticing how bad my genes are.

• If online dating is for losers, what about the people who can't get dates from online dating? LOL

• No. You actually learn more about people from not seeing them in person (unless they are lying) and getting to REALLY know them without the pressure of sexual attraction and wanting to sleep with someone so soon and wrecking things.

• I think it's pathetic or at least I feel that way after being on those websites and finding no success whatsoever.

• One of the personal trainers who worked at a gym with me met her husband on Eharmony