Should it become illegal to text and walk at the same time?

• Yes
  • No
  • QA should be run over while texting & walking

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 23

• I've heard of several tragedies related to texting and walking. It's awful that those things happen. But I don't think it's fair to outlaw it. It's not quite the same as texting while driving. People need to watch out for their own safety in this situation.

• I don't text, but I play video games, watch videos, and walk around without my glasses (blind) in large busy moving crowds and I do fine. I've never run into anybody and I always know what's going on around me. Then again I'm not anywhere near the street or the side walk, usually indoors.

• No, that's severe...if a person is that into the text well I'd have to go along with the "let nature be" idea on that one. Outlawing it all together is wrong.

• I kinda feel like if you're stupid enough to not pay attention to where you're going, maybe being killed off isn't such a bad thing? I mean, stupidity is really a trait we need to weed out in society

I mean, you can't expect to not get hit when you aren't paying attention.

• No,

text and driving I believe so.

• Yes... Everyone's done it, but maybe it should just be illegal in places with a lot of traffic or something...

• No, that would be going overboard. However, if you notice that you zone out when you are doing that then it would be smart to stop. It depends on how well you handle this activity.

• In college people almost get hit by cars while doing this.

• No, If it becomes illegal I will have no way of getting by people I don't want to talk to. Texting makes me look busy, so I can dodge people. If I have nothing to make me look busy they will try and have a whole conversation.

• Just tell them what you have to say. Be yourself, don't run.

• Sometimes you just don't feel like talking to certain people.

• I put no, but I think it's dangerous to do so.

• No! WTH? Its comes down to freedom over safety. Just because it's not good doesn't mean it should be outlawed. Its just choice. And anyway nah because I depend on working walk signs.

• No because I've done that:D

• no I don't think so.. that's kinda extreme haha.

• yes it should be banned. you have no idea how many times I've walked into intersections by being distracted on my phone. I walked right in front of a car on campus. its dangerous

• You really want to police to have even more authority over you?

• So cops should give people tickets because you don't pay attention?

• obviously its more than just me doing it. for them to make it illegal there has to be multiple incidents going on on a daily basis that they witness

• I do that and I don't think it's illegal. :)

• Um if they are stupid and can't pay attention somewhat while they text.

• No because pedestrians usually don't need to look unless they are on/ by a street

• if your crossing a busy road in the city then I say YES it should not be allowed for safety reasons!

• who was going to make it illegal? lmfao

• Not everywhere, but on certain busy streets, yes. It's f***ing ridiculous how these idiots walk right in front of your car. That being said, I don't know how on earth you would enforce such a rule, though. Cops on segways chasing down texting walkers?

• No, not for walking that's ridiculous. The reason why it's generally considered a good idea to make it illegal to text while driving is because the person who is distracting themselves while driving becomes a danger to OTHER people as well as themselves. But if you're texting and walking you're just a danger to yourself. People should be held accountable for their own decisions. If they wanna put themselves in harms way and not pay attention while, then that's their own stupid fault when something happens. But at least nobody else would suffer the consequences.

• I agree that it shouldn't be illegal, but someone who texts and walks can endanger more people than just themselves. If a car has to dodge them, that person and anyone they crash into also gets hurt.

• thats pushing it a little too far, I'd think.

• you'd be surprised, I can see it being passed sometime.

• i doubt it, it would require police to be extra attentive, and you know how they can be :p

• Yeah people don't be paying attetntion

What Guys Said 21

• There should be no laws enforced on a person to protect said person, only those that protect the people or property around them. Laws against dumb decisions that can only hurt yourself (like seatbelt laws, helmet laws, etc.) are A) pointless, generally; and B) overstepping government power. The government is responsible for public safety from individuals or groups, not individual safety from themselves.

I would support laws against texting while driving or texting while crossing the road or something similar because that has a high chance of causing causing wrecks, thus endangering other people and property. Something as broad as 'no texting while walking,' though, includes situations where it may only be unsafe for the person texting, if anyone at all. If that is the case, where my dumb decision hurts no one but myself, then butt out. It's my dumb decision, my consequences, and nobody else's business.

• I said nope. if the idiots get killed it's just thinning out the idiot from the world population.

we should stop making the world safe for idiots who don't know better. Just let them figure out the hard way why someone shouldn't do these stupid things.

yes some of that was sarcastic but I just wanted people to think about it harder.

• It should not be made illegal, but some people need to be more aware of what is going on around them, almost everyday while driving aorund here, people walk right out into the streets with there heads down just assuming traffic will stop for them. while its fun to keep in contact with friends or family, there is a whole world and a lot of things going on around you that you are shutting yourself off to.

• It shouldn't be, but there SHOULD be a law passed that says if someone is texting while walking across the street and gets hit by a car, it's the texter's fault and those in the general vicinity can laugh derisively for a period of less than or equal to 30 seconds before seeing if said texter is injured.

• As a libertarian, I am completely opposed to this idea -- but I also understand why people want to do it.

I believe you have the right to text while walking. In return, I have the right to think you're an idiot for doing so. And if you bump into me while texting, I'm not apologizing for your stupidity. But I won't outlaw it either.

• while driving yes (I don't want an idiot hitting my car cause he was busy saying hi to someone)

but walking no way, though I do know some people who can't walk and text at the same time wihtout running into things

• This damn country (USA) has enough unnecessary laws...there's one about not eating or drinking while driving. Let's just say that rule is going to be broken by me, especially since I live in a desert climate lol. :P

• The unnecessary laws stay on the books, because who has the time to get them overthrown? It's once they start getting enforced that they become a problem and need to be changed.

• Hahaha! I don't think so.

• I don't think so. But I've walked around malls as a kid playing on a game boy so I'm quite experienced at this. Lol.

• lol at option C.

i don't think so tho.

walking ACROSS the street and texting, that should be, but just walking?

that's retardateeed.

plus its easy to away from, you can just quickly open your internet on your phone and be like, "wasn't textin, was browin hoe" and then, pigs will oink in anger and leave.

f*** the police.

• No, but if you get hit, it's your own damn fault.

Texting and driving should be COMPLETELY illegal (any phone usage should be WHILE DRIVING, if it's an emergency you can pull the f*** over and call) and doing so should make you lose your license for 6 months for the first offense. Lose it for a year for second offense, lose it permanently for third.

Why? Currently phones account for the highest # of accidents. Not even alcohol is beating it.

• No because it's pointless. However, I do find it incredibly idiotic when people do it in a super crowded area, when crossing the street, or when riding a bike. I can't remember the last time I saw someone riding a bike without looking at their phone.

• On the streets around traffic, sort of. But anywhere else no.

• thats retarded. the next thing you know its gonna be illegal to drink water while walking. what the f*** is going on with this country?

• umm well a lot of bad sh*t lately lol :/

• i think people sit in a room and come up with random sh*t and try and make it a law kind of like congress to be honest lol

• No..lol

• It does not make sense to create rules that cannot be implemented.

• no, it would be very difficult to enforce

• No, it should be obligatory to text and walk at the same time.

• Of course not...any more than wearing earphones...it is your right to kill yourself...(:

• Nah,

• No it is another law we don't need