Why am I not bothered by this?

I'm from Egypt for GAGers who don't know me :)

From where I come from, the average age for marriage is ~22-24 for girls and like 24-27 for guys. The majority of my girlfriends and my female relatives are married and have kids.

I also have a few girlfriends who are not married yet, but they complain a lot about being single. I also come across a lot of people (colleagues, friends, etc...) who always remind me of the fact that I'm getting older and that I should be married by now.

I do not know why I am not bothered by this. I am 26 years old. I am not married and I do not have kids. My single female friends are extremely upset about their situation though.

Why am I not bothered by this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you are a free thinker and a smart lady. You do not need to be told when to do things. You are strong and beautiful and have a free independent mind. When you want to settle down you will and he will be just as smart, lovely and kind as you.

What Guys Said 10

• Likely because you've absorbed a lot of Western culture, where marriage is no longer the priority and status that it once was. And that makes you feel more empowered to choose when (or if) you are ready for marriage and kids.

• I guess you don't fall into that cultural mindset of where you come from or something. I don't know how you think, but probably you feel like marriage isn't something you need to actively seek out to be content and happy right now, and meanwhile you go about your life and enjoy it for what it is and see how the pieces fall into place.

• True. The majority of guys and girls get married for the sake of the idea, not for deciding to spend their lifetime with that person they chose to marry. I don't believe in this. I want to spend my life with someone I love, not just any man.

• and I think that's a good way to go about it. better to wait and end up with the one you've really wanted than possibly dread waking up to your partner every day and then maybe be afraid to divorce and separate in fear of shame from your family or others =\

• That's how I think of it. On the other hand, my friends think it's better to get married to a "good" guy whom you don't necessarily love, better than being single forever.

• Since I'm being an Egyptian too myself, and have a 24 years old sister.. Yeah! I'm glad you are not bothered and I know you understand how glad am I LOL.

I believe and understand life, as how much intimate it should be also shouldn't stop at that far.. people have hell a lot of things to focus on besides this marriage issue.. Best of luck with your life and I'm sure the day you get bothered it will be somebody worth it.

Our culture is so focused on the issue that women should be born, raised well, married (And everybody dies happily ever after) :D.. Yea?. So yeah its so typical that all girls take the habit all over and re apply and keep racing with their thoughts and time which ain't effective for even a little bit.

Thumbs up and yeah it does mean that you are smart and thoughtful with the future.

• Because genetic algorithms are more interesting to you then family life. =P

• Because you're a BAMF

• I feel that some people are more attuned to the here and now rather than the concept of marriage :) Maybe you're just more career-oriented and it's not so much of a big deal to you at the moment. And some just prefer to put their own personal goals before marriage as well. At least that's what I think.

• If you're so not bothered, why are you asking such question?

It's like saying: "I don't care.. and I say it to show that.. I don't care.. which I DON'T!" ...

• Because your are tired of having boyfriends perhaps? And marriage have no value to you..

• Because marriage isn't that big a deal.

• Maybe you are focused on your career and life, and not concerned about all of that now. Maybe you are just never going to get a married and have kids, not every one does. Maybe you have not met the right person yet. It could be any of those.

• Since your from Egypt could I get your opinion on this question: link

• Could you put your answer in the link. Thanks link

• Could you put your answer in the link. Thanks link I want to have a discussion with you about it and would like to do it in my question.

What Girls Said 6

• Whats good for some is not good for all :) Maybe you do not put much thought into the idea because you would rather do so when you run into someone you want to marry? Or maybe [ I don't know] but marriage just isn't something you want?

• "because you would rather do so when you run into someone you want to marry" << That's exactly it. :) The fact that people I'm surrounded with keep reminding me of the fact that I'm not married yet makes me wonder why I'm not bothered by this. They seem to care more than I do :D I don't know how to reply when they mention it every time. It's annoying :D

• same difference :p

OR you can always be really sarcastic! Tell them "I don't think anyone would want to live with my heavy coke addiction..." wait for their reaction "I drink a lot of diet coke." :p

• lol yeah, I usually turn it into a joke, but I wish they'd stop! ugh! lol

• It would be difficult for someone from the U.S. to put themselves in your place. I have some ideas of what it might be like to be a woman in Egypt but I don't really know.

How able are you to support yourself financially throughout your lifetime? Do you work? Is work readily available for women in your country, historically? Basically, will you have some way of caring for yourself or will someone do so if you do not marry?

What about romance, sex, companionship? I recognize you don't need marriage to have any of this and marriage may not even provide any of this, but those are reasons why people marry even if it does not work out.

So, either you are a dreamer or someone who just doesn't spend much time worrying about the future or you have a belief around how you will fare without a husband. A lot of women in your place probably would be worried about their future without marriage or disappointing their families.

• You came out of a long, abusive relationship and you've rediscovered your independence. Why wouldn't you revel in that? You have a successful career that you work hard at, and it's not like your biological clock is ticking just yet. You're enjoying the present, my dear :)

• Maybe you are still in the mood to enjoy your freedom and are waiting for a perfect guy. You are right by not being marries enjoy being single, your time for marriage will come and it will be amazing because you don't live in a fairy tale

• And I always response like this:

F: When is your turn to get marry, you know AAA is going to marry this week, BBB has engaged wiv...blah blah blah...

Me: Yea, soon. I'm getting marry next year.

F: Really? You got a bf? I didn't know, who? show me the pic.

Me: my better half hasn't show up yet, but I'm sure I ll get marry next year ;)

Then they ll turn speechless, lol..it works every time. Try it.

n Never get upset for their over patient.

• i know what you mean I'm like persian and indian mixed, and there's a lot of pressure to find someone and its hard. sometimes I do worry ill never find anyone but most other days I don't give a f*** lol. I don't know if I believe in love anymore and I feel like career is priority right now.