Guys: Is it hard for you to let the girl pay on a date?

For my boyfriend's birthday I took him to his favorite restaurant and rented his favorite movie so we could just chill at home and eat the cake I baked for him. I had to basically fight him for the restaurant and I could see him gritting his teeth as I payed for dinner and the movie. Is it so hard to let a girl pay? If so, why?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've honestly never had a gf.(im 21...spwnt a lot of my life being shy...i got mroe social in colelge but haven't met anyone yet) .but I get the sentiment...basically its like this : in a prmitve sense...men and women traded...women neede a man to provide for her...giv ehe rshelter/food/protection...etc...and the woman coudl reproduce and provide children (and sex of course). Flash forward to the mdoenr day...women are becoming the dominant sex and we feel emasculated when we feel like were not providing or doing our share...even though wer enot clubbing down wil beats to drag home for dinner...were not providing...so we think "Were does that lead us?" "if she doesn't need me for that? why does she need me? she could leave me at any mnute..theres no mutual need in this relationship?" IOF we don't get to do these things...there nothing we cna bring to the table a woman cant...and we feel worthless and vulenarable. this is a small example but all those emotions are invested in small acts like paying for dinner.

What Guys Said 5

• I am not bothered by it at all, especially for an occassion such as a birthday. Some guys don't think it's the woman's role to pay and others still can be embarassed by it. Traditional gender roles are changing but many guys are brought up by parents who teach them about traditions from their own generation.

• It would have to be at least a few months into the relationship and only once in a great while. Just like some have said here, I was raised that way. As a result, some guys can be self-conscious when they're girlfriend pays for them.

In the four months my current girlfriend and I have been together, I have let her pay only once and while together in college, I took her out usually about once a week. We were thirsty so she wanted to get icees and she wanted to treat me, so I relented. At that point, we were about 3 months into the relationship. It made her really happy and I always enjoy seeing her that way. Therefore, that time, it was worth it.

-Jay

• Not bothered. I am interested in modern, emancipated and independent women though.

• Its only fair really. especially when we pay for almost all dates

• it bothers me. that's how I was raised to do, be the gentleman and pay for the girl. I would rather us pay 50/50 than her doing it all herself. I know that's an old mentality but idc..thats how I like it

• Even when celebrating your birthday?

• even my birthday.. I would rather us split it at most and I can be okay with that

What Girls Said 0