Are girls terrible as a general rule at choosing boyfriends/husbands?

It seems like on average girls end up with guys that are douche bags to them, perhaps because they are attracted to this type of guy?

On the other hand, most guys prefer nicer girls don't you think and end up with girls that they're happy with more often?

feel free to disagree but what do you think?

• Girls are terrible at choosing partners
  • Girls are good at choosing partners
  • Very subjective

Most Helpful Girl

• We don't really choose them, you know. If we feel something for someone, our mind can tell us to get away from him because he's a waste of time, will hurt us and he's a jerk, but our hearts can say: whatever, I'll just develop feelings for him anyway!

So then we're pretty much screwed. Either we follow our hearts and try a relationship, or we follow our minds and ignore our feelings. We don't choose who we get feelings for. There are a lot of explanations on why women choose a**holes and jerks, but I don't know which one is true.

It has to do with our selfesteem, with what we find attractive, with what we've all been through, ...

I don't know, but my point is that women (and men) don't really get a lot of choices in that area, either you feel something or you don't, and if you feel something you can choose what you'll do with those feelings, ignore or embrace them.

But if you take all this not into account, I can't speak for my entire gender, but yes, I make superbad decisions on possible boyfriends.

• There are not many woman wise enough to admit the truth on this subject! You have my respect!

What Girls Said 8

• Some women get into a pattern of dating guys who don't treat them well- sometimes because they're attracted to that type of guy, but more often it's about how they see themselves and what their bottom line is for the level of respect they think they deserve. If that changes, the type of guys they allow into their lives change too. My sister was like that- dated what seemed like the world's biggest losers for years, went from one to the other. She had other issues too- depression, anxiety etc. Once she got those under control, she started dating her current boyfriend, who while a little younger, is a pretty decent guy for once.

Guys do this too- I see a LOT of guys with terribly controlling and bitchy women and I wonder WHY are you with her, she treats you like a trained dog rather than her boyfriend! Sometimes I think they get in a rut and don't want to leave because they think it's better to be with her than have nobody at all...

We all mess up and date a few people who are wrong for us before we find the person who's right for us and, especially when you first start dating or get back into it after a long relationship (I'm talking years) you have to try out different types of people to see what works...

• It goes both ways. You meet someone, you think they're awesome and fall in love but then sometimes he changes or his true colors start to show but then you love him and it may not make sense but then it remains difficult to leave him even if he treats you bad. I've been in this situation twice. It's not because we're terrible at choosing always, it's more like we're terrible at letting go of the person we once knew.

• i thin k a lot of girls have a skewed image of what looks good/cool in society, or have body or self esteem issues, so this contributes to them not choosing a man who is a good fit for them (lol sounds like I'm talking about cloths here...) but there are smart, ambitious secure girls who know a quality boyfriend when they seem him. also the kind of stereotypical "hot" girls who only care about their appearance are usually these types of girls who get sucked into a poor relationship. also, ironically these are also the kind of girls guys often see first, or pay most attention too so that may be why you see girls as bad at choosing boyfriends.

• It depends.

I think it has more to do with our generation. We want instant gratification. And if it doesn't fit our lifestyle anymore, it's out... Hence the 50% divorce statistics and many abusive relationships (verbal or physical) or the rejections people get because they are pickier or they think it's "cool" to hurt each other. Not being negative here it's just what I've observed unfortunately. People (especially in America) have grown up to think they are the most SPECIALEST person in the whole wide world and you'd be LUCKY to be with them as in friendships or otherwise. It's sad really. so selfish, the world we live in or at least this society. So shallow... that's why marriage is going down the drain and gay marriage is winning. People are running single family households and what not.

So tragic.

• Your words are very wise! You are a certified SENSIBLE WOMAN. Reading your post was a privilege! Peace!

• I don't understand your question. It seems you've focused on the girls getting in wrong relationships vs guys getting in good ones. Don't both of these examples have the other side of the coin, aka: guys who are in wrong relationships with said girls, and girls who are in happy relationships? A relationship is a team, whether it works out or not depends on both people. If you consider people individually, that might be a different story and you really can't generalise it or make an average.

• What you may not fully understand is that even very average women are privileged to select from a range of various "applicants". Men generally don't have the luxury of selecting from "applicants". Men typically face MANY rejections before ONE woman "selects" him. Men basically have to take what they can get! So in the matter choice, WOMEN RULE! There's no equality in this! In dating and sex, WOMEN have the last word and the ultimate, controlling choice.

• The wrong guy always seems to know what to say and that's why we fall for them. The good guys tend to be shier and have less experience so they don't know what they are doing and we take it as disinterest. All girls want are a guy who loves or at least says it and says they are beautiful. The douchebags tend to be good at saying things even if they are lies.

• Yes, the good guy was to shy to properly express his love! So the woman he loved struggled to understand and she thought:

"He says I am beautiful and he treats me well! WHAT COULD IT MEAN?" - laugh - LOL!

• Some girls are. But I am not.

• Girls are ,women can be but have more standards at times

What Guys Said 5

• Because women play a more passive role when it comes to seeking partners, they tend to end up with men that confidently take initiative. While there are plenty of men that can confidently take initiative that aren't d***heads, almost all d***heads are confident and have no problem taking initiative.

So you can see that it would make sense that more women would end up with d***heads, since they tend to possess the qualities that initiate courtship almost universally. It doesn't help that d***heads tend to go out of their way to lower the self esteem of other competing males, especially in high school, which results in less non-d***heads having these important qualities.

• Jerks are more confident and go for what they want, while good guys hang out on the sidelines. One girl consistently dating jerks could possibly be related to the relationship she had with her own father. Relate this but the opposite way around for men.

• Here's an excellent video on women's dating and sex choices today. It's the sad truth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYK8fCEHUQ

• what happened to guys lying to girls?

guys and girls are the same

No one wants a partner where they will be hurt in the end!

• It seems to be that way just from observations. They often say we think with our d***s, but they seem to have a similar dating strategy.