Girls, have you ever felt like you screwed up your chances with a guy?

Guys feel like this all the time, but do most girls feel this as well? Share a story of the worst time you screwed up. What happened exactly? Do you learn any lessons from it?

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah, when I was in high school, I grew fond of this guy who I never thought I would like.

he was in one of my classes and he just randomly came up to me and started talking to me. on a field trip he came and sat next to me on the bus ride there and he kept asking questions about me, which I found kind of odd. he kept trying to be near me. that day, since I have a soft quiet voice, he even got so close to me, like if he was going to hug me and put his ear closer to me when I answered him. I was like wtf?

i didn't like him at the time, mainly because he was kind of unattractive (I know! I was such a bitch! I'm sorry!) but I found it weird that I wasn't able to hold a conversation with people I first met but I was able to talk to him like if I knew him for years. I was comfortable around him. and he was nice, and funny, and a pretty cool guy. we liked a lot of the same bands. we had a lot of things in common actually.

well, this went on for the rest of the year. he would always go out of his way to run into me, acting like it was such a coincidence to run into me when I clearly saw how he through all that trouble to casually run into me.

well, after all that attention I got from him, he finally won me over. and everyone thought he liked me, which is why I thought so as well.

well, I started getting all giggly when he would talk to me once I realized I liked him.

and at the end of the year, after prom (I went alone, he went with a friend), we went to this guy's after party. well, I got so drunk that I blurted out that I liked him. and I was yelling it. and he was like right there. then later I started crying (after he went home) because I was whining that he didn't like me and someone told him.

i must have freaked him out. either that, or he really didn't like me.

idk. I feel like I blew it though. I was so embarrassed. now I just laugh at the whole thing. it is pretty funny though.

• oh and he started avoiding me since that day. he wouldn't talk to me and he would act like he didn't remember my name. and he would flirt with my friends. and put his arm around other girls when I was around and he would stare at me to see if I was looking. I was so embarrassed.

What Girls Said 12

• Yes! I have plenty of times. But one time I was too clingy with a guy I was madly in love with. Clingy as in I was a little pushy to get him to ask me out cause I wanted to be his girlfriend so bad. It wasn't like the "I call him 10 times a day" clingy. I was clingy in the sense that I wanted security. He was a very unreliable, rough and inconsistent guy so that made everything even harder. Things didn't end well. We had like a mini friends with benefits thing going on (no sex though) and that was another big mistake. I gave him the impression that if I can't have him, he can still mess around with me and the only reason I allowed us to do things was because I wanted to be as close as possible to him and thought I could magically make him like me more. Obviously now I know it does not work that way. I should have ditched him the second I realized he was a bit of a man whore and I should never have been so easy and clingy. I was around 15 when all this happened. But lesson learned :)

• I've effed up every chance I've ever had with someone I want. The most recent was with a friend of mine. When we first met, I thought he was OK but I didn't really feel any chemistry. He kinda showed some interest in dating, but I happen to be terrified of getting my heart ripped out again so I hesitated. After not having ANYTHING for a year and a half (no dates, flirting, sex-NOTHING), I'll admit I was desperate for something. I initiated a FWB instead. As I got to know him I realized he's a pretty awesome guy, and was going to try and bring up the topic of maybe dating. Turned out he was into this other girl so I never said anything. She ended up backing out, so I was going to try again and see where his feelings stand with me (we're still friends, but don't see each other as much) but I found out that he might have a date on Sunday...I have no idea if it's a new girl, the one before, or if he's been dating and just never said anything. Regardless he has options and I feel like I screwed up jumping right into a FWB, and I don't know if he can take me seriously because of it. I may try and ask anyway even though I'm pretty sure rejection will be the outcome. I guess if nothing else it will give me definite closure, and hopefully I can blame myself for not trying...I'd be stupider not to with this one. The biggest fear I have is losing him as a friend, moreso than the rejection. We'll see I guess

• Yes and no, depends, but I think if someone is for you, you will be together no matter what, and sometimes things just happen for a reason.

It's supposed when you meet someone it is like a job interview, and sometimes I say things I don't have to say and makes me sound very immature.

One of the stupid things I've done too is I don't let guys do the work, maybe it makes me look needy and it makes me look insecure and guys take advantage of that!

I've done stupid things but I ALWAYS tend to attract the wrong people in my life, still have the hope of finding a nice guy..I never give up! :)

• wow do girls feel this hell yea alottt... a story well I had this guy friend we were close one day out of nowhere he asked me out I was alil scared because well we were close friends and I diddnt want to lose him so I said no we were still friends but he asked me again twice and both times I said no but after awhile I started to relise I do have feelings for him so I asked him if he still liked me and well he said he has a girlfirend but if he diddnt he would definently gone out with me...well 2 years have passed and were talking again he's veryy I guess you'll say a mann whore now but he's so nice to me only I'm like the only girl he doesn't treat wrong and he still acts the same but whne it comes to us being together its an awkward moment I really did miss out and I wishh I diddnt say no

• Yes, I screwed up my chance with this one guy I was in love with! We start dating and I kept listening to rumors and believing them without consulting him. I broke up with him right away and that's when I found out they those rumors were lies created by jealous people! I was going to ask him out again after three months but he already has a girlfriend.

• Yes, I flirted uncontrollably with one of his friends and proceeded to date his friend for a month, and even after all that was over he was still interested, then we were at a party and we were about to kiss and then I just turned and walked away and then I still wondered why he stopped being so interested. I don't even why I behaved like a f***ing retard, I guess I must of felt really bad for liking him because my best friend was his ex.

• Yes in many ways in various situations. They include not being communicative up front about intentions and ignoring my instincts, not having enough dignity, trusting too easily, being too shy, chasing when I shouldn't, not having enough respect.

And,

My guy now has made a few remarks about me not ever contacting him first so I'm working on that.

• Fear used to cause me to sabotage all my potential relationships, I'm not afraid anymore but I've become more picky than ever about the type of guy that has to come along. It's not as though I can't afford to be picky though, just have to be OK with being single for a while.

• Yes, I had a bad holiday so I was venting/complaining a little too much. He slowed his replies and then stopped replying. I figured... yeah, it's not good to vent/complain but if you can't help me out a little, support me or at least tell me to stop.

Not really, I already knew the risk involved. One bad outcome was doubting what I can tell people. I want to be expressive, I want to be myself. Can't I be myself? It's just disappointing.

Background - I was in a relationship with this guy and he had told me that his previous girlfriend would always get mad if he told her anything negative so he kept it all to himself. He had opened up to me and told me things that were 'negative', I figured that meant he still wanted to tell people how he felt without them getting mad but I guess only he is allowed to do that if he lets himself.

• go I was friends with for a long time was moving away, we liked each other but never got the chance to date, the day before he was leaving (which he didn't tell me he was leaving that day) he left his bracelet in my locker...i didn't know whos it was or anything, but by the end of the day I boldly asked him if it was his and he awkwardly nodded and I tossed the bracelet at him... :( I didn't know he liked me and that happened about one 1/2 year(s) ago, I still think about it and I reallllllyyyy miss him.

• A guy I liked very much just broke up with his Girlfriend of about 3 months, he was hitting on me so I did the same back, later on he got back together with her and after he did I asked him out, and now he hates me and his old Girlfriend was someone who was "close enemys" with my BFF

• Haha, it happens to girls too. I met this guy at my sophomore homecoming in high school, he was a guest though because he was homeschooled. I danced with him all night, but had to leave early, and he only knew my first name. He asked my friends for my last name and found me on Facebook, we ended up talking a lot through text and phone calls. And then, I had the nerve to ask him out on a double date to a movie. He showed up, but when we walked in the theater, he didn't sit next to me. It was me, my girlfriend, thenher boyfriend, and then my guy sat on the opposite end next to my girlfriends boyfriend. Then, he texted me when the movie started and said, "You gonna come sitnext to me?" Even though I had sat down first...so I replied with, "You come sit next to me." He got up 30 minutes later, in the middle of the movie, sat downnext to me and said, "i have to leave, my friend has an emergency." I said OK and he left. He slowly didn't talk as much. A month later, he was dating a friend of mine, who has the exact same first name as me. Now he is a Marine and is still incredibly hot and amazing...has everything going for him. But somehow, I ruined my chance...and imnot sure what I did wrong,but it was so humiliating.

• He probably just wasn't all that interested to begin with. my take anyways

• He made it clear through our convos that he was interested in me. Sometimes I just think maybe he only wanted to get in my pants, but I'm not sure. I won't ever really know haha

What Guys Said 0