Ladies, do you think ALL men are alike?

My Mom would make this comment when she and my dad were married. I would look at her and think, not all men!

Not all men hit women, not all men cuss at women...but when it comes to everyday common decisions most men are alike! They are ready to protect their kids, family and do everything they can to provide.

Recently we had a couple move next to us. They are younger than my husband and I, but when we talk to them it is like a reflection of me and my husband! Her husband thinks and reacts to things just as my husband would. Then I started thinking, maybe my mom was right...maybe all men are alike in certain ways.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well to an extent all men are a like just as all women are alike. We do have certain biological triggers and impulses that are all shared to a degree in normal people.

Like in men, the need to provide and protect, the willingness to fight for loved ones, our sex drive, our logical style of thinking, our lesser emotional involvement in everyday decisions, our lesser affinity for conversation, etc. etc.

Or in women, the need to care and nurture, the drive to be a mother, gentleness, ability to empathize, need to appear aesthetically beautiful than practically beautiful, to search for safety and avoid risk, the ability and need to care for the nest.

Ok I'm sort of just pulling these out of my ass, but I'm not far off and you see my point. So some things are biologically instinctive, but many things also aren't. Like just because one guy is a cheater, a lair, or abusive, doesn't mean all men are like that. Those are personality traits and aren't specific to the gender, just the person specifically.

• Good point! I am glad people actually realize the natural emotion each person shares.

I think your answer would deserve best answer even if you felt you were, "pulling them out your a**!lol

What Guys Said 8

• In some ways, the majority of men are alike, yes, just as in some ways, the majority of women are alike. We all have genetic, instinctual "programming", designed to help us survive and reproduce, and those instincts inform much of our other behavior as well.

But even with instincts, there ARE exceptions. There are some men who are complete cowards and could never stand up for themselves, much less anyone else, and there are some men who are monsters, who prey on the weak and have zero empathy or mercy in them. They are thankfully rare, but you should always remember that they exist.

• For the most part yes, a grand majority of guys are douchebags far from being real men so in that sense they are all similar. If we scrutinize the individual, we see differences of course but walk around and it's not difficult to spot two guys with similar characters, dispositions, their views on women, etc. Very few men are real men who are in a league of their own, not similar to the average guy but very different and unique. I think guys have de-evoloved over the centuries and we're seeing an increase in the same types of guys in the male sex.

• to the same extend that women are different and men and women as psychologically different as two planets -- Mars and Venus -- but these differences are vastly overestimated and the two sexes are more similar in personality, communication, cognitive ability and leadership than realized, according to a review of 46 meta-analyses conducted over the last 20 years.

link

• Ahhh I meant to upvote you.

I agree that men and women aren't as different as they're portrayed. I also think that, scientifically, it's a huge mistake that so many studies about "gender differences" only test adult brains. Adult brains have been molded, they can't tell you what's "innate."

• In certain ways a lot of us are alike, yes.

• Most if not all women stereotype men thinking all of they want is to get laid as many times as possible, so I would say yes,

• no we're not.

• Like you said, I think a lot of people think alike, both men and women. Besides just because has the same opinion on something as a wife beater has, doesn't mean that person is violent too. People are complex.

• I guess we men will figure out one day that every guy is the same and that they will make the same decisions and that we as guys are ready to protect and provide...

first of all I'm not a lady, second of all I'm a guy that by reading this thinks if this was true and if all girls think like this that id be better off being dead

Rather then being a rapist, child abusing, carefree homosexual married to a girl who beleaves in every religion and is always ready to protect family, offspring and gf.. Or was it boyfriend or both?

K I wasn't offended, that was a joke but really in reality all guys are diffrent but you could devide us in groups of personality"s

What Girls Said 9

• No, I don't let gender get in the way of seeing people as individuals.

kholland65 mentioned some generic differences between men and women and called them "biological." I know it's really easy to believe those things because they make sense to us, but to call these things innate and not question how someone's *upbringing* might affect how they think? For example, if someone believes they're not supposed to be emotional and they resist expressing their feelings, that area of their brain gets stifled, so of course they're probably going to be less emotional later in life.

• If you're talking basic human nature, as in what most people would do in a stressful or desperate situation, then yes, not only would most men think alike, most women (people in general) would think alike. I can't count on my hands how many people think that my husband and I are weird, and do thinks completely off the wall and unconventionally. We pride ourselves on thinking like "other", so no...not all men think alike. I made sure I married one that didn't "think" like them all.

Your husband and that guy probably have a lot in common, but it doesn't mean they represent all of mankind.

• No more than ALL people are alike. There are things that are common in most men, but there is nothing that's true all across the board for all men. You say they are all ready to protect their kids and family and provide for them yet there are so many men who don't think twice about abandoning that responsibility, my dad did.

So the farthest you could take it is that MOST men are the same in whatever area you're trying to compare them. For instance: most men like sports, most men don't care much about marriage, most men don't like to read instructions.

There are exceptions to every rule.

• 9human beings all share the same basic emotions thoughts reactions intentions expectations ... in varying degrees. there are ,ore similarities between sexes, than there are within the same sex. you find greater differences between persons of the same sex, than you do -generally- between different sexes.

i think parents naturally have an instinct to guard & protect provide. if they have psychological issues, this instinct maybe over run by a different instinct or just disregarded. but, barring any pathologies, parents want to do right by kids. certainly not more so men than women.

your husband & friends husband may have similar personalities, or, they may both feel pressure to act a certain way. I'm sure you could find a woman with similar views as they have, as well.

• I have yet to be with actual men ;)

• Hell no

• I guess...but all humans are alike...

• No, I don't, but most of them do have very similar behavior patterns.

• I do believe that most guys are dogs until they meet the right woman. Until then, you better watch out because unless you're that right woman they don't truly give a f*** about you! That doesn't mean most of them will hit and cuss at you, they may be a jerk but in a more passive way, or to a lesser degree but the core feeling of not really caring about her and using her for what she's good for is there in most guys.. And yes they do want to get laid as much as possible by many different women