Why do girls say "I have a boyfriend"?

every time I try to friend a girl on campus when I ask for her number, immediately they think oh he is hitting on me. not every guy wants to hit on you, some just want friends. its really annoying and what does it actually mean.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• They might not like you that way, and are just trying to let you know that before you get too attached. Even though not all guys are hitting on girls, most are and it's just instinct to say "I have a boyfriend" when a guy they don't like comes up to them. I've done it once myself, but only because the guy asked me out. Sometimes it's the only way to reject someone without being too mean. It just seems better to lie and say "I have a boyfriend" than say "I don't like you and I really don't want to go out with you."

• Just tell her that you only want to be friends, nothing more. I'm sure in the future you will want more, and by then she may have broken up with her boyfriend. So just stick around. When a girl breaks up with her boyfriend, the first person they go to is their best guy friend.

• i didn't just come up to her, I had a walking conversation because we left class and just happened to be walking in the same direction, then when parting I just asked for her number, she said sure but I have a boyfriend, okay but I'm just looking to be friends, then it just gets confusing we trade numbers and there's the lingering feeling that they don't want to be friends either

What Girls Said 2

• They think you try to flirt with them so they just tell they have boyfriend to avoid you from getting closer with them.I don't simply tell guys I have boyfriend unless if he shows any clear signs that he wants to be more than friends or something.

• Some girls can over act on something like this.I am pretty friendly with my course mates and I don't tell them I have boyfriend just because some normal conversation like this.

• lol that's interesting because our conversation was just about the class we got out of and how stupid it is, is that like a sign of interest of being more than friends?

• Usually when you ask a total stranger (of the opposite gender) for their phone number, it implies that you are interested in them. You can't expect a total stranger to want to be your friend anyway. They know nothing about you.

What Guys Said 2

• Eh, mate. You probably come off too strong in your approach for friendship. Lighten up and don't be so forward.

• Because guys usually don't approach girls with the mentality of simple friendship. Very few only want to be friends and it's easier to block everyone with the boyfriend excuse. Or you might be ugly.