Would you date someone going through a difficult time?

My guy and I had been talking, and literally an hour and a half before my dad died, my guy and I talked about possibly dating sooner or later. yes, my dad passed away suddenly from a heart attack. I'm 17. My life is flipped, and changed and so confusing. My guy, 16 soon to be 17, was by my side, and our relationship became your not-so-typical beginning high school relationship. He was by my side, spending time with me, giving me kisses, cheering me up. He had a difficult time seeing me like this. Already we saw each other cry for the first time, and experience the unimaginable. Things went faster, because of how I was. A month later, we talked about what we were. He was starting to get distant so I wanted to know. He said he didn't feel like he wanted a girl friend but in the future maybe. I understood at the time, and we both agreed I should deal with what I have and see where we both are at later in time. He didn't say much, he doesn't really ever. But his mom told mine that she doesn't think her son would be able to handle dating me, and how I am. she thinks he's afraid, he might screw up and make me feel worse if he didn't do justice. he also might feel like he has to be by my side a lotttt because of the situation I'm dealing with. when actually, I like space, and wouldn't want a clingy relationship in the first place.

guys, do you understand him? how would you handle this after telling me that you didn't want a girlfriend, just give space and text once in a while

Most Helpful Guy

• This is not about you or trouble. He just cannot handle that yet. I understand that. I would not have problem with that at all now. I am 27. But I would at 18. It is not your fault. This is hard for him. And much much harder for you. Much harder. But when he will deal with his feelings about this I think he can come beck to support you.

• okay. thank you so much for your response! is it somthing like he'd feel like he'd have to be by my side all the time, and be the 'best' boyfriend in fear he'd, I don't know screw up and make things worse?

• Maybe, and maybe he is just scared of idea that this might happen to him and being with you in this situation constantly reminds him of it. And maybe it is something entirely different. I don't know! You should ask him.

What Guys Said 1

• he is just 16 soon to be 17 ...he is not mature enough to handle such situations but dnt let him go away from you at least he is trying

What Girls Said 1

• I understand him, and you have to give him credit for trying. but I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

-A

• i was just asking if people understand him, and if him being distant is normal and if its a normal reaction for a 16 year old boy. things are really confusing for me, I'm trying to do a little clearing up.

• Oh, then yeah its normal. that's a lot of responsibility, helping someone get back on their feet and feel better after they've gone through a loss, especially since he's only 16.

-A

• okay. thank you for your response! I appreciate it