Why would a guy call a girl retarded while hanging out?

What does it mean when a guy calls you retarded when you're hanging out? He's like "you're retarded" and then he laughs a little bit. Then when I don't respond he pokes me. Does he really think I'm dumb or stupid or does he just want to get my goat? I'm not stupid and don't act stupid so this blowing my mind. What should I call him back or do when he says this to me? Should a guy really call a girl retarded?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not think that this guy seriously thinks that you're stupid or retarded (at least I hope not). Guys have a different way of communicating or speaking that girls. Men will poke fun at other men because men do not seem to take things emotionally serious as women do. I am not trying to be offensive, but I am providing you with a guy's perspective. What I think the guy was trying to mean when he said that "you're retarded" was that you like to act silly but in a fun-loving manner. You like to have fun. As men, we would just brush that comment off our shoulders and then move on. However, as women, you might take the comment serious to heart as though he was insulting you. As to how to handle this, just talk to him. And when you do, say a comment like that to him. Try to push his buttons and see how he reacts. If he reacts calmly like he isn't hurt then this guy doesn't let annoying little comments phase him. If he reacts angrily then he might have a little temper or easy to stir up insecurities. I hope my advice can bring you some peace of mind and best of luck with this guy and your endeavors!

PS: No one should call anyone or anything retarded. Deuces!

• Thanks! I mean, he didn't seem mean about it or anything...but I didn't know if he actually thought that of me or if he was just teasing. Well thanks a lot and maybe he was just messing around. That is kinda how guys act I guess

What Guys Said 2

• If he's a 'friend?' who doesn't have a thing for you romantically, or you him? like you're just 'buddies' I can see it, even though it's kinda nasty to say to a buddy of a different sex...I might say something like "Dude! , you're a retard" to my male buddy if I disagree with his point of view..not a strong disagreement, just like "you don't know what you're talking about"..we sometimes call each other detrimental nick names. But personally, I refrain from calling even my best girl friends detrimental or demeaning things.

• He was joking. Guys do that a lot. But no, I just don't think guys should do that to girls, at least not to that degree. One of my friends and his wife call each other "punk" and "stinker" and stuff like that sometimes, but it's endearing and light-hearted.

What Girls Said 3

• Oh boy... time for a chill pill. If he was laughing while he said it, it was a joke. It's actually a commonly used expression when joking around. It just means he thought you were being silly. Don't be insulted, just laugh.

• I don't think that he meant it as a serious insult. He's just joking around with you. We all do this sometimes. Don't worry about it.

• this fella will sort him out for ya link