"Just not ready for a relationship/commitment"?

I know I've used this line before. And in all actually what I really meant was, "I like hanging out with you, but I don't want to be in a relationship with you, because I'm still looking."

Has anyone actually said this and really meant they just weren't ready to be in a relationship? Even if they liked the other person?

Most Helpful Guy

• From this guys perspective it means, "I don't want to be in a relationship right now", it might be because I'm still getting over my feelings for some other girl, it might be that I just don't want to be in a relationship with any girl because I need some time after the last one didn't work out (it was stressful and I don't want that in my life at the time), it might be because I want to sleep around with a number of girls for a while and don't want to commit to any of them, it might mean there are other things more important in my life at the moment then that. It never means I'm keeping you on the side, because I think I can do better as it seems to mean for you.

What Guys Said 2

• I think guys often say it meaning 'I'm not interested in monogamy right now'.

• I've never said it, but it's very true for me. I'm not at a point in my life where dating would be successful for me, so I'm focusing on myself rather than relationships.

• Even if you met a girl that seemed perfect for you?

• I've only met one girl who I thought was perfect for me, and no I didn't tell her this. She's ultimately the reason why I've now come to this decision.

What Girls Said 1

• My boyfriend said something similar before we got together. He said he liked me but he wasn't looking for a relationship and he didn't want one when we first started hanging out but he also said "we could see what happens." Long story short, you know what happened a month and a half later ;)

I think most of the time it's just a line like you said. Especially if it's coming from a guy. But there are times when the person may really like you and just not want a relationship for some other reason (like my boyfriend). However, I think that's rare... and what's even more rare is if they do change their mind about not wanting a relationship. I count myself lucky.