Who do you think should pay for dinner, a girl or a guy?

described as above . who should pay for a date/dinner ?

Most Helpful Guy

• My mother taught me to be a gentleman, open the door, seat the lady, and pay the bill. If a girl thinks other wise, hey I commend that, but if a woman goes on a date with me, I will pay for anything and everything that we do, not because I think the women are inferior or in capable, but because its the nice thing to do, and it makes me happy to do it.

What Girls Said 33

• I think whoever initiates the date should offer to pay for both, and let the other person pay for themselves if they say they'd like to, or it should be established ahead of time that while it is a date, you intend for yourself and your date to each pay for themselves.

In my relationship, we take turns, or whoever has more money at the time will pay because it's usually that person's suggestion to go out. On my first real 'date' outing with my boyfriend, I paid for the whole meal because I told him that I wanted to take him out. So I did. He thought it was really sweet. We both like to treat each other on occasion, even if it's out of pattern with our 'take turns' tradition. It might not be his turn to pay, but if he really wants to take me out and do something nice for me anyway, it's not a big deal that it upsets our pattern.

As a general rule though, whoever initiates the date should expect to pay for their outing, unless otherwise agreed upon ahead of time. Like don't just spring it on someone you invite out, that you're not going to pay for them and you're prefer they pay for themselves. If I ask someone out, I'm intending to pay for the whole thing. Offering to pay for yourself when asked out isn't a bad idea, but if the other person insists on paying, LET THEM pay, and be gracious about it. Or decide on some kind of split, like one pays for the meal, the other for the movie or whatever. One for the meal, the other for the tip and next part of the outing, etc.

• I usually split it with my boyfriend and I'm totally fine with this. On special occasions like his birthday or something related to him I pay for him, and if it is something related to me then he will pay.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer to this. There are old social standards saying a guy should pay and yes, a girl will probably appreciate it but in all reality it shouldn't be a huge deal either way.

:)

• I should offer, and you should decline.

• If it's first date and boy invited girl - he should pay I believe , this way he would get points and look like gentleman .

If this are casual dating /couples dating I believe everyone should pay for oneself

• I think the guy should pay, unless the girl wants to. If she wants to pay, then the guy should let her pay for herself, but not him. I prefer when we each pay for our own part of the date, I feel bad when guys spend money on me.

• Why can't the girl pay for the guy at all? It's a rather blunt double-standard.

link

• I have never tried to split the bill with my boyfriend. It looks too formal.

when we go out, he pays for the movies or wherever we are going to and I sometimes pay for the dinner/lunch. He has never asked me to pay but I feel weird if he keeps on paying for everything!

• It depends who asked who out, who paid last time and if someone owes the other money, then you can repay by paying for dinner.

• Depends on who asked who. If the guy asked then he should pay at least that's what I'd expect.

If it's just like a hanging out thing then it would be split, but since it's a date I'd say the guy should pay I don't know that' just what I'm used to.

• Both. Alternating.

• If the guys asks the girl out he should pay, if she asks him out she should pay or go dutch regardless of who asked who out.

• Whoever wants to.

• Split it.

• Each should pay for the things they eat :) Of course if the guy wants to pay for everything and won't let me, I'm not gonna put up a big fight XD As for me paying for his dinner, probably not gonna happen unless I owe him or he's done sth to deserve me paying for dinner, otherwise no, I ain't paying for his dinner XD

• If I were to have a son, I'd tell him to always pay for a first date, or go dutch if the girl insists. After that, I think its alright if the couple takes turns paying based on who does the asking, or just go dutch.

• I'm sure I'll get some down votes for this, but in almost every situation, the guy. Now if the girl asked the guy out, that changes it a bit...I think maybe you should both pay then.(Yes, I know that sounds like a double standard and it is, but I'm a bit old fashioned and probably wouldn't ask a guy out on a date anyways...I prefer to say that we should hang out sometime or something like that and then let HIM ask ME out...and also I still believe in Chivalry)

• Logically it should probably be who earns more.. But I have to admit, I think its the sweetest thing when a guy persists to pay, even more so when he says he does it because he likes it.

• each one should pay half of it.

• It should just like you're going out for a bite to eat as friends, he pays for his and she pays for hers. Dutch! lol

• Usually it's the guy who pays but I also think that if you want to be a good "partner" that the girl should pay once in a while. However if I invited him out myself I wouldn't think it was fair to make him pay for his meal, so I would pay.

• The guy should always pay for the girl

• I think that if he isn't your boyfriend, the girl and guy should pay what each consumed.

• Both should pay for dinner, but if you are out drinking, I think the guy should offer. With that said, however, the woman can also treat a guy to a drink. Another alternative I like is, if you are seeing someone not for the first or last time, you can always alternate between who covers the bill.

• whoever has cash. or both.

• Depends on the datees, I'm confident so I like to pay for myself, but asking doesn't hurt

• lol guys being told to pay for first dates. always reminds me of piutting a dow on payment on the expected -sex.

• Everyone says that the guys should pay for it to, but I think its right for both to just spilt it.

• If its an official date I think the guy should pay.

• Whoever asked for the date

• I think the person who does the inviting should pay, why can't guys be treated to dinner or something. Plus you do the same thing when you invite friends over for dinner or take your child's friend on vacation with you. And I certainly don't mind paying for myself or even for the tip if he insists on paying for the food or something, but dates are expensive, I think it is rude and inconsiderate the expect the guy to pay every time, dates are supposed to be fun, I wouldn't have fun if I cost him hundreds of dollars, I am not one of his children, I think it should be more balanced

• Nice. Although I will say it's still a problem since guys are still expected to do the inviting more often than not. And the girls often hold back and wait for him to do the asking, sometimes for this exact purpose. But you have sound advice. I hope you represent the majority.

• I hope I do to, I know plenty of girls resign themselves to just waiting for the guy to do everything, but I don't like to treat not only men but myself that way, I have no problem asking guys out. But even in a long standing and committed relationship I think it is nice to treat your guy to some things, men have stress too, I want to help not add stress and problems to his life, good luck to you!

• Guy should pay. I will offer to pay/split, and the guy should say no, let me pay. and I will say Thank you! :)

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 15

• None of the above. They should steal the food!

Jokes aside, we're all adults here, so we should pay for ourselves. We're the one most conservative western nations on this front. To me, it's a simple sign of decency for her not to expect me to pay for her. And honestly, I don't want something as materialistic as money making its way into something as immaterial as a relationship.

Would I do it on occasion? Sure, if I really feel like it, and if I feel like she's earned a special surprise.

But in now way do I think paying for a girl is the "decent" or "polite" thing to do. I think it's a special occasion.

• It should be whoever asked the other person out, usually the guy asks the girl out, so he pays.

If the girl asked the guy out, then she pays, OR if they want, they can split the bill, if the other person heistates & gets upset, you learn a valuable lesson about that person.

• OK. This is simple, and I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned it. Let's say you want to go to a concert and have dinner. Guy buys the tickets and lays down $200. Tells the girl, "OK, I bought the tickets, you buy dinner". Girl doesn't HAVE to spend $200, but what she can afford. Same thing if it is a movie... one person treats for the movie, the other for dinner. Or at the restaurant, one person foot the bill for the meal, the other for the drinks. Ore if you don't drink, one person pays for the meal, the other for the tip. Simple, no obligation to spend a certain dollar amount, you spend what you can pay. No splitting of bills. Done.

• Just man up and pay, honestly it's only money and to be so worried about something like that when you have a nice lady to share it with... Well I don't know what you are doing, but it sure does look like to me that you were never interested in that girl to begin with.

• Usually guy. But hopefully the girl will end up paying for herself. If she doesn't offer, the guy should usually pay. Sure it's a double standard but it's just something you've gotta deal with. Guys don't have it bad. Neither do girls. We both have to deal with certain stuff, and this is just one thing guys have to deal with haha.

• The one that invites. If the date is somewhat mutually initiated, then the guy should pay.

• I say dutch, so that way if the date was horrible. It doesn't all come out your pocket.

• i think it should be split

• Pfffft. I'm old fashioned. I make the money, pay for the dates, give her a jacket or some other piece of clothing to borrow each date until my entire wardrobe is there and unofficially move in, ...what was the question again.

• There's no question. A guy; though, I'd like it if she at least did the check dance everyone once in a while. If you've ever seen HIMYM, you'd understand.

• girl.. always. we don't live in the stone age anymore. females want equality? they better prove they're equal.

• if the guy is really pretty and the girl is married, the girl pays every time.

if the girl is really pretty and the guy is rich old and ugly, the guy pays every time

other times they should take turns more or less evenly, depending on ability to pay and other factors

• Guy all the way! Yes I'm old fashion but this is what I believe. A guy should pay the whole bill, to me that is the gentleman thing to do. Even if the date didn't go well, girls spend a lot more time getting ready and putting effort into that so show your sign of appreciation and pay the whole bill!

• I like to make the girl pay because if I am breakin off a piece of me for he she better be paying for this prime ass chunk of beef.

• Go dutch.