Men and their emotions???

How were you raised to handle strong emotions like major sadness, anger, guilt...things like that? Some guys hold it in all the time. Others let so much of it out. As far as dealing with it, how do you cope...or do you just ignore the situation and continue with life? I am just curious about the male perspective of dealing with emotions.

Most Helpful Guy

• Work it out. Literally work it out at the gym. The gym's my biggest reliever.

What Guys Said 6

• I wasn't raised to keep emotions in. I had no father, at least I never knew or seen him, so it was only my mother who raised me. She never really talked about it or told me how to handle it, so I just went with what helped me the most. That was to let it all out when needed. I can keep it in forever if I wanted, just like a lot of guys do. But that gets annoying and stressful after a while so I just talk with someone about it, or go on long car rides yelling to myself, or just sit in my room silently for a day.

Personally, I think men should be able to show their emotions publicly, but that is usually not the case. It is a human trait, the need to show emotion, and it is almost inhumane to not allow it.

• Being of both Irish and Italian ancestry, I have both tendencies...usually people can tell what I'm feeling I don't try to hide it. On the other hand, if there's a situation I can't change..I'm pretty good at letting go of it emotionally and getting on with life. I don't ignore it, though, and later I might revisit and try to 'fix' things.

• Let's see. 17 years of a violent childhood, which was solved by my own violence, I think I can endure enough. I'd say 80/20 ratio of let it out / hold it in. I deal with it by accepting that most people just can't understand that there's also benefits to a violent childhood.

• I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I don't think that bottling up emotions or feelings is productive. By letting it out, it allows you to cope and deal with the situation better, and allows others to be let in and help you cope. By bottling it up, you could set yourself up for a huge explosion, and could end up hurting those you love. I just don't think that you can move on without a release of those emotions.

• I use to let it out and cope with my anger through football, which may sound dumb. Made me feel better. Now I just try and cope with things like by doing better at other things. Like focusing on work and stuff. So I kind of do just hold it in now.

• That doesn't sound dumb at all. Many people, including myself, use some type of exercise to calm their emotions. :)

• I was always bullied cause I was sensetive and if I ever got caught being sad people at school would call me punk, bitch, woman. And my dad is a retired marine sergeant. He never abused me physically. But he always told me I wasn't a "real man". All of this is probably the reason I'm still a virgin at 24. I have no confidence. Iv seriously considered suicide over it :( If you don't mind me asking is sex overrated at all? its really something id like to be experience before I die. But I don't think anyone would sleep with someone like me who isn't very confident.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm a girl but I usually switch to drinking. It was a habit I came across at 17. Now that I am determined to live a healthier life, I would say eating healthier, exercising, and sleeping early. Those really do help with stress.

• Sounds like you are doing great with the healthier lifestyle..I used to drink too, but decided to stop for many reasons :)