How do you know if you're physically attractive ?

do guys approach you more often (I doubt it somehow)?

There's something interesting I've been observing for the past year or so and that is typically, guys tend to avoid the pretty girls or at least look at them but never talk to them.

I see a lot of guys talking to average looking girls, so it's not like you have to be pretty to get male friends...

how do you really know if you're attractive (and please none of those cliched answers such as "you're pretty if you feel it")...?

and what are the benefits of being pretty?

Most Helpful Guy

• Being attractive does not always mean being approached. Easily one of the most beautiful girls I've ever dated was a long-time girlfriend who was a model. You would think that she was approached all the time. Not quite so much, in actuality. Being tall and beautiful kept a lot of guys away, despite the fact that she had a decent personality. The only true way to know if you're attractive or not is to ask members of the opposite gender that you don't know personally and are more likely to be honest than friends or family. As you have posted no photo, we can only surmise how attractive we are based upon limited information.

What Guys Said 6

• You hear from others, you get approached, you get looks a lot, you get contacted by BeautifulModelsAgency.

There's truth to what you've observed. Most guys feel really attractive girls are out of their league, so they feel more confident and secure when talking to an "average" girl.

• The most obvious sign is people going out of their way to help you with inconsequential details. Like helping you carry a bag to your car, or voluntarily running an errand for you after you mentioned you didn't have time to do it. Things like that.

It has to do with the evolutionary tendency to prove your worth to someone you find attractive. You want to show them that you're capable, and therefore a potential mate. Every movement, word, inflection, and how you carry yourself will affect how they think of you, so your brain is working overtime trying to get everything perfect. When you talk to a person you think is average looking, that automatic urge to prove your worth isn't there. It ends up being a lot easier and less intense.

Ironically, this will actually allow you to get to know a person, which lets you develop a strong foundation before attempting to build a relationship. When you date that insanely hot girl that you've only met once or twice, you've built the relationship on uncertainty. You could get lucky and find out she's the girl of your dreams. More than likely however, you will discover that you're not compatible, and you're forced with the decision of either breaking up, or staying together because they're hot.

That being said, beauty is entirely subjective. Everyone is beautiful to some people, and ugly to others.

The benefits tie into this. If someone thinks you're beautiful, they will do things for you. But there is a downside. People who are more popularly considered beautiful often learn how to use this, and start taking advantage of other people's willingness for their own selfish gain.

I've gotten free Starbucks from barrista's quite a few times now, so that's pretty sweet.

• 1) You post a picture online and ask someone their honest opinion.

2) You get random people smiling at you.

3) (if you have good ears) you can hear people talking about you sometimes..

4) You get many compliments on pictures etc. (A lot of girls lie out their ass on Facebook but the decent-good looking ones generally have specific compliments)

When guys approach you more often is interesting.. Many girls say different types of guys will chat them up when they 'look like sh*t' and when they dress up they are less likely to have anyone talk to them. Due to you look more approachable, or you look more approachable to someone with less confidence. A lot of guys will go up to very attractive girls however.

• really?...i doubt that. aren't typical body intimidated by pretty girls, especially if they happen to still be young?

• sorry, typo *boys

• Sure a lot of the sane ones may be, but there's guys with undeserves and some with deserved egos.

• If there's silence when you walk by a group of people. Either that, or your zipper isn't up.

• yea, I guess you have to be very pretty to have that kind of effect

• That's the best quick test! Best answer no?

• "I'm sexy and I know it."

• Me physically attractive lol maybe in my dreams. You said something that I agree on, Guys tend to avoid the pretty girls, same reason girls avoid the plain looking guys like me. So why are you complaining? Your right about another thing girls don't have to be pretty to get male friends but guys have to be super hot or really good looking to get women friends.

What Girls Said 6

• The only place guys have approached me and implied that I'm attractive is online. o_O I think the reason more guys tend to go for average girls is that they may feel intimidated by the really pretty ones, and don't want to get shot down by someone so beautiful. As far as knowing you're attractive... that's a completely subjective matter. Everyone has their own general preferences and ideas of what attractive is.

But one of the main benefits of being pretty (at least according to the field of social psychology) is that when you possess an attractive face/body, people just automatically assume subconsciously that you have other desirable qualities, such as intelligence, a good sense of humor, trustworthiness, hard-working... If you don't believe that, then think about an overweight/ugly person, whatever that means to you... if you saw that person, you'd most likely assume that they are dumb, boring, more likely to lie, or lazy... Of course not everyone makes assumptions like these based on a person's attractiveness, but it's common if you really think about it.

• What about the whole stereotype about being dumb and pretty?

• Actually some very attractive women rarely get hit on since they're intimidating

• The negatives are that guys don't really like you for you and are too intimidated to approach you also you seem stuck up

• Guys whistle and stare

• psht, that only happens in the movies

• Maybe like you said, guys look at the pretty girls but never talk to them. So if guys are looking a lot but never approaching that could be a sign.

• psht, yeah right, people could be looking at you because you look strange or just plain awkward

• No those are two very different looks and it's obvious which one is which.

• When everybody compliments you and they're nice to you.

• compliments me? I doubt that. why would anybody want to feed into the ego of a pretty girl?

and people are nice to anybody who is at least decent looking.