Girls and Guys, would you consider this character archetype sexist and offesive towards the female population?

The character I'm talking about is the Manic Pixie Dream Girl you can see in Romantic Comedies (or anime).

Let's say you're a soulful, brooding male hero, living a sheltered, emotionless existence. If only someone — someone female — could come along and open your heart to the great, wondrous adventure of life...

It's Manic Pixie Dream Girl to the rescue!

The Manic Pixie Dream Girl is there to give new meaning to the male hero's life. She's stunningly attractive, high on life, full of wacky quirks and idiosyncrasies. She's unreasonably obsessed with our stuffed-shirt hero, on whom she will focus her krazy antics until he learns to live freely and love madly.

Apparently this character is considered sexist and I don't know why because:

A). It's a wish fulfillment

B). Don't females do the exact same thing to men in their stories (Such as TWILIGHT).

C). You wouldn't want someone who's happy and devoted to you?

D). I have a Pixie Dream Girl's personality (as my boyfriend says), just way more subtle.

Most Helpful Girl

• Who cares about archetypes?

She sounds like an amazing girl!

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• A bit. The key to MPDG is that her existence is to ONLY benefit the male character. She doesn't have her own life, hobbies and personality traits that don't serve to benefit the dude, etc.

In Twilight and other similar books, the male characters have entire exciting lives that we hear stories about throughout the books. Sometimes their personality traits/habits cause the girl pain with no eventual benefits. Manic Pixie Dream Girl's flightiness, on the other hand, only serves to teach the guy a ~beautiful life lesson~

But honestly? There are much more important things to worry about than one single trope/archetype.