You find out your friend is cutting their wrists what would you do or say?

I told my friends I cut and showed them my scars, and one of them said "ugh you're one of those people, you're really F***** up in the head. The other one said whatever it's your choice. A couple of guys overheard me talking and showing them my scars and one of them said good now there could be one less cutter in the world. the other one said if she's so depressed why doesn't she just slit her wrists and get it over with. Apparently I don't matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's awful, I'm so sorry. When I found out my best friend cut herself ONCE, I cried. I told her I knew what it felt like and I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for her since I live far away. I was absolutely devastated she had gotten to that point and there wasn't a thing I could do about it.

Just hang in there. Message me if you need to talk. And maybe get yourself some new friends. Remember, you are important to SOMEONE. I'm sure you've touched people more than you realize. People you may not even know would be devastated if anything happened to you.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't get the point of cutting yourself. It's like "I feel bad so instead of getting help, I'll hurt myself even more". That's what I would tell them and then offer some help.

• I honestly wouldn't know what to do... it'd be just a huge shock and I'd probably fear that I'm going to say the wrong thing.

What Girls Said 2

• Sounds like you're doing it for attention. I suggest going to therapy or counseling. My dad was suicidal and kept very quiet about it til one day he decided to down 30 ambien with an entire bottle of vodka. There are people that care about you, but I highly recommend seeking help. I don't think going around and showing them off to your peers is a good thing to do. They can't help you in the way you need.

• Why would you be showing them off in public like a trophy or badge of honor? Are you cutting for attention? If you are trying to get your friends to help why don't you ASK for help? I use to cut and I would hide my scars until one day I cut myself WAY too deeply and my mother saw that my shirt was soaked in blood (yeah, not a good thing). She ended up taking me to the hospital after finding out I was also suicidal. Believe me, even though when you are younger and the cutting feels good at the time and it gets out all your pain and anger at the moment, you will regret it at my age when you want to be a good looking woman wearing nice clothing and you have a gross scar like I do on my hip.

Now if my friend told me and wanted help I would help them. You can always see a therapist, or if you'd like to go the route; a psychiatrist, or if it gets so bad and you are trying to cut your wrists to kill yourself you need to be hospitalized to protect yourself <3