How do you respond to an ex, or someone who you think has feelings for you?

I recently heard from my ex, and I am going crazy over his word choice. In one sentence he reads like a jerk, in another he "hopes all is well" with me. Which is the right one? I know he isn't in love with me anymore, but why do ex's put in those little "kind words" when they are most likely not remotely interested in whether or not "all is well"?

What Guys Said 1

• Perhaps you're over thinking his choice of words, he's just letting you know that he hopes you are doing OK with life. It'd be much different if he called you and you could hear his tone of voice.

So for this case, you should probably respond with thanks hope things are good with you too. Or if you'd like to talk, strike up how everything is.

What Girls Said 1

• Personally I wouldn't respond. An ex is an ex, yeah maybe he is just saying hope all is well or maybe he just wants to drop a line to make you think of him. I wouldn't over analyze it. I would just let it be. Especially since you said one of the gets he was being a jerk and then the next he hopes all is well. I hope this helps and good luck. I always find its hard when an ex contacts just to check up.