What do you do when your partner is giving you the silent treatment?

My boyfriend is doing this to me and I don't even know why. He won't talk to me. What's the best course of action when a significant other refuses to talk to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• dont pay him any attention. when someone gives you the silent treatment they just want you to beg for them to talk to you and show you attention. if you ignore him he'll realize your not gonna play along with his childish games.

What Guys Said 5

• quit trying to talk to him and let it go. talk to other people pre occupy the time doing things you enjoy.

• Call or let it rock, I'm good at keeping out of touch.

• I did try calling but it rang like twice and then he sent me to voice mail

• He once mentioned to me that he's the type of person that doesn't need closure. Could he be breaking up with me?

• Lol it's only been a day.

• I read or listen to music in peace, LOL

• Girls don't get it. When guys get pissed to their girlfriend they back off to not explode. Girls do that to guys (more likely short dismissive and highly sarcastic) to stick it to them. And let me tell you, don't go poke a bear when he's pissed, you might highly dislike what would happen. Just give him some space and wait that he cools off and is able to look at you without having the desire to chop your head off. My guess is you must have done something disrespectful to him. Remember that girls and guys don't fight instinctively the same way. Guys naturally get ready for a physical fight, girls first instinct is to try to patch things up. It's physiologically different. And like I said, when a bear is high on adrenaline don't poke him.

• if you are an adult & rational, you can SAY you need space*thats what I do even when I'm extremely angry& do not want to talk to the person, since to say nothing & go off in a huff, is extremely disrespectful. you mention respect, but you don't really think about respect on the other side of things, just hoe you think others should act towards u.

if an adult is not mature enough, to say 'i need space'- without turning into a bear, then they should see a therapist, not a romanic partner.

• agree with toulouse

• I agree that stating it would be better, but guys fear it'll start a conversation (girls can't help it, they need to talk) and they won't be able to control their anger. You talk about passive aggressive, girls do that much more often and in a way more hurtful way. They tell you they are "fine" but keep treatimg like sh*t until you find out what they are mad about.

• If you see him in person, ask him why he's being so silent. If he doesn't respond, then let him be silent. He needs his space and time for some reason.

What Girls Said 4

• I'll ask if I've done something when I'm not sure. When he won't say, I back off for a while. Especially when he hints around but tries to leave it up to me to start an argument. Sometimes he's just not feeling good, and I can deal with that. I get quiet, too, and those are times I need space, so I pay him the same courtesy, even when I'm mad at him.

• if he cant. be patient. f he went, break up with him.

cant is like he's really upset & tells you he needs some space to sort things out.

wont. id when he acts like a passive aggressive, 6 year old & just takes off.

His behavior,very aggressive & immature. leaving you in the dark, making you feel like its your fault, & are supposed to fix things, but have no power to say anything, or you're invading space. beng pushy. needy. disrespectful.. respect towards u, does not matter. do you care whether he respects you or not?

give him one chance to talk. if he refuses. dump him.

• we talked. We're OK now. But he couldn't admit that he had done anything wrong.

• Yeah. If anything like this happens again I think I will leave him.

• Guys need their space. I just find the silent treatment highly disrespectful. If he needs space, he should say so! Tell me you're going into your cave for a few days, it's all good. Then I don't don't have to worry and wonder.

Good luck with your guy...my silent guy just broke up with me. :(

• Yeah I'm starting to think he and I are not going to work. He gets pissy like this at the drop of a hat and I really don't know how much of it I can stand.

• I swear it's like they have their own kind of PMS...I had my guys' silent treatment cycle down to about 90 days.

• what an immature little sh*t

• Try to make him laugh. Always works everyone.