Are "paid membership" dating sites better places to find long-term partners than "free" dating sites?

Online dating is the new phenomenon, and I have a theory to test out. My theory is:

---

People will take things more seriously when they have to pay (presumably) their own money for something, including dating sites. Therefore you'll find more "serious" people, and less "fling" people, on a site with a paid membership.

---

When it comes to finding a partner for a long-term relationship (aka, not a "fling" / "hook-up")...

...

...are sites with paid memberships better places to find long-term partners?

Whether you use dating sites or not, please vote and share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. Feel free to guess the pokemon on my avatar. 8-)

• I use dating sites; paid-membership ones are better for finding long-term partners
  • I use dating sites; paid or free, the types of people on each site are not much different
  • I DON'T use dating sites; paid-membership ones are better for finding long-term partners
  • I DON'T use dating sites; paid or free, the types of people on each site are not much different

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I think paid members probably take dating a bit more seriously. I

think those that decide to join a paid site vs. a free site are at their desperate end (and probably tried other ways to find someone but it just didn't work out). I mean why else, would they refuse to join a site that's completely free if it worked for them?

Free dating sites, have thousands of members that do not access their messages, and hardly ever log in.

With a paid dating site, members are more likely to be more involved in that site, (and finding what they are looking for). It all makes sense that they would be, because they are spending their money.

What Girls Said 14

• Here's the thing... yes with a paid membership you will get a more serious vibe but it's not much different than the free ones. I have a boyfriend (I actually met in person ) so I am not on the sites anymore but I spent about a 1.5 years on those. I started with the famous POF. I was getting about 60 emails a day and I thought "wow, I'm definitely going to find a match with all these options" well after a while I started to realize that I just didn't have the time or patience for all those. So I figured I'd try eHarmony... but nope that site sucked in my opinion. They send you matches based off a silly questionnaire you filled out.. and lets just be honest. most people aren't fully honest when they fill those things out. So how that's a match? I don't know.

Next I went to Match.com... not a bad site but guess what? I saw so many faces on there that I had already seen on POF. Basically the whole thing was a nightmare.

It works for some people but no better than going out and meeting new people. Dating sites are like a full time job...I just couldn't find a mutual connection and don't have time for endless emails.

So if you are gonna try it and I suggest anyone give it a try just to know they did... I wouldn't pay for it unless the price was decent.

• I haven't used them but I would imagine trustworthy site you pay for would be better than a free one because there's more of a chance people are serious about finding a relationship since they are paying money to be there.

• I haven't ever used a dating site, but I think your theory is correct. I mean if people are paying money they must be pretty serious about finding someone.

Hope this helped :)

• I've used dating sites before, and it was free. It was craigslist and I connected with a few guys back then.

• I don't use dating sites.

I don't think the people online are any different then the people in real-life.

They're just behind some computer screen.

SO, I don't think someone should have to pay to meet people they could meet everywhere, that's just my opinion.

• DEPENDS ON THE SITE. if it is a site for hooking up, that's what it is despite if you throw $ into it. make sure you find a credible site.

• i think so. People pay for things they are serious about.

• Psyduck. Never used a dating site but I can see where you get you theory from

• I have never used a dating site. I'm too skeptical!

• i would agree.

• Free sites are better and have more people on them. The paid sites are full of desperate people and have a more serious tone (but not in a good way).

Free sites are more relaxed and casual...there's no pressure to find someone just to get your moneys worth. You can take time and make sure you find the right person. And think about it, if you don't find someone on a paid site you are gonna feel horrible...but on a free site all that happened was you explored and gave it a shot (no major financial loss or pressure)

• I actually haven't used a paid site... but I haven't had such bad luck with the free ones either. you do have to weed out the bad people, but it's free so idk, try it and see what happens. I picked b btw.

• Yes paid membership sites are better because it usually means they aren't really there to play games. While on the other hand with the free sites, anybody can create an account and they start playing games, going there for hook-ups, creating multiple accounts, stalkers, pervs, etc...

I'm not saying that paid members from dating sites aren't any of those I mentioned above, but there are usually way more on the free dating sites.

While I am not ready for a paid membership site, I will be willing to try it in the future If I can't find anybody.

• To be honest I think paid or free dating sites are a bunch of crock.. majority of the people on there say one thing and/aren't sure of what they want in a partner... I think they should remove all dating sites and people should take chances meeting in the grocery store or on a plane.. any where but a dating site...

• have you had bad experiences with dating sites? I never used one (and still not sold on the idea of using one), so I have zero experience btw.

share those thoughts. :)

• Should they also remove lottery because you don't play and stop making diapers because you never want kids? They work for some people.

• Yes, I have had 2 and this is just my opinion...

What Guys Said 5

• I never used a dating site let alone sign up for one but I think your theory on this is correct. Paid membership dating sites are better for finding long-term partners compared to free dating sites. I mean, you get what you're paying for right? So that means if you pay, the more likelihood of the service being better. Quality. If it's free then the service isn't checked regularly or maintenanced at all so don't expect it to get any better because it won't. Quantity.

P.S. I'm going to take a guess that the pokemon on your avatar is Psyduck.

• I think that the people on paid sites are more serious about finding a long-term relationship, but it doesn't matter. Paid sites are almost always sh*t. I had a girlfriend from Match.com, but I still think free sites are better. Check this out: link

• I don't use dating sites.. just because you have to pay does not mean it's going to be any better.. you will just be out of money.

• people on dating sites lie. It's better to meet the person face to face

• from what I've heard, yes, but since I've been unemployed most of my life I've resorted to using Plentyoffish or OKCupid