Going through a difficult time in my life, can anyone offer some useful advice or encouragement

I have no friends, I'm broke, living at home, never been financially independent, my family is feuding. I graduated from college and can't find a job, which makes me an even bigger loser because I have a degree. When I worked at a store my whole family laughed behind my back because after 4 years of good grades and hard work I still end up in retail. I'm so frustrated with myself, I don't know what to do. I've lost motivation. Can anyone offer some words of advice? I feel so alone and I don't know where to turn.

Most Helpful Girl

• Basically, a LOT of people are going through this right now. The economy is really crappy, no one will hire, furthermore they keep laying people off.

TONS of college grads are either staying home with their family or moving back in with them after graduation. The grads are looking for jobs and not finding them, having to lie and say they only have a high school diploma to get hired as a waitress or something like that, and the parents are laid off from work and also looking, making ends meet through odd jobs and temp positions.

My point is, it is NOT your fault, and it's NOT just you.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is work ANY job, even if it's retail, because a lot of people can't even get that. If your family laughs at you, they either don't understand what is really going on in the world right now, or they have no empathy, or both.

Think about other things you can do in the meantime, such as taking classes that can help you get better jobs, starting your own business, trying to generate some income from the internet like a blog with advertising/YouTube/etc., going back to grad school (if you had good grades, you might be able to get a scholarship or grants or fellowships to make it free!), going to school or getting a job in a different country (you can always teach English), joining the peace corps, and stuff like that.

Your situation is difficult, and emotionally draining, but you CAN get through it and make your life better. Just realizing that it's only a passing phase, and there ARE opportunities out there, you just have to find them and take them.

• thank you so much, this was helpful.

What Guys Said 2

• Some people have it worse.

I remember when I was just a little kid (back in my birth country), my dad had just passed away in his bed. Was I sad? No, I was too young at that time to understand. But my dog next to me had weep on my behalf. I gathered food for myself, and I poked a hole, in the little hut I lived in. The hole was not big, it was not small, it was just the right size for the light to pass through and land on my dad's face. I wished that the light woke him up, but he never did, I waited for days until my mom took me away. Now I am here, living my own life... I was only 7 back then.

My advice is, Be glad you have a roof in your head, and be glad you have a family, even if they are feuding and killing themselves.

• Spend less time online. Honestly, not saying that in a mean way.

What Girls Said 2

• Did I write this? Joking. But well my life is pretty much the same. I posted the other day about thinking of joining the Military because of how things were going. Keep your head up and remember you are not alone. :(

• I am in the same position. I graduated with 2 degrees last year and have applied for over 200 jobs, I work in retail now and get paid crap and my hours suck. I sometimes feel absolutely sh*tty like my life is going nowhere. I just keep telling myself it will get better. My family thinks it is funny that my cousins are in high school and make more money than I do. I just take it day by day. I keep applying for jobs and changing my resume. I thought about going back to school for something else but I don't want to take on debt. I just take it day by day and I keep telling myself it will get better. I keep getting told its just the economy but it still is frustrating. Hang in there you aren't the only one in this situation and I'm sure thing will start looking up for both of us.

• I feel that way all the time and get compared to others who have better jobs because they didn't go to school and have more experience. I feel like going back to school is the only way ill have a chance at a career but I can't take that on right now. I'll keep trying, thank you s much for answering

• If you don't mind me asking, what are your two degrees in?

• Criminal Justice & Homeland Security/Emergency Preparedness