Do have a right be mad or should I just let it go?

Okay, so my steady girlfriend is starting back into some bad habits. I'm okay with socially drinking, and that's all she wants to do there. Yet, she wants to start smoking cigarettes again. That's something I do have a problem with though. One being it's just plain nasty. Two, it actually affects other people.

I voiced my opposition to this and she said it's her life so she'll smoke if she wants to and I can leave if it upsets me that bad.

I don't want to leave her, but I just want to know if I have a right to be mad? Shouldn't she respect me enough to quit completely, respect herself enough. Please help.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well if she was smoking and it only affected her health, I would say that she does have a right to choose to smoke. Though smoking very rarely affects one person due to second and third-hand smoke. I would say, for your health, suggest that she take the patch instead or consider leaving her or establishing rules where she can't be around for for X amount of time after smoking.

• Thank you. It's just complicated because she is always trying to preach about going back to God, she's going through that "Born again christian" phase, so I find it Ironic that she isn't willing to give up something like that. Thanks again, and I do agree. If it only affected her, I wouldn't mind as much. Yet, that stench.. that taste.. the smoke itself. just. blah.

• Thanks! :D

• Glad to help!

What Girls Said 1

• I'd ask her why all of a sudden she feels the ned to start smoking again when she knows it upsets you. Perhaps she's trying to make you distance yourself from her or there's something more going on than she wants to say?...

• Eh, I just talked to her and she told me this would be the last time she smoked. I still don't see why she has to though.

• Maybe she was stressed or just felt like "breaking the rules" if you will just for a little. if she promises she's done smoking then she got whatever she needed to out of her system and it should be fine from here

What Guys Said 0