How do I let a guy know that I'm interested without completely putting myself out there?

I'm kinda shy/quiet, and along with most other people hate rejection. This is why when I'm into a guy I'll usually only hint that I like him, but wait for him to make the real first move. The only problem is sometimes guys can be a bit oblivious. How do I make it clear enough to a guy that I like him, without making it so obvious so that if he doesn't like me back it won't be weird.

And could I have answers both for if it's like a guy I go to school with or something that I see everyday.

Also I'm in this group where sometimes we do events with people from other areas where we may have dances or something so it's like people who I don't see often or it may be the first time I'm meeting them (so if I'm just really looking for a guy to hook up with at a dance...).

Most Helpful Guy

• You just flirt with him, he'll get the point.

• ehh not always.. I mean sometimes I just flirt with guys I'm not interested in just because flirting is fun (...is that bad?)

What Guys Said 4

• well maybe you need to correct the tumblr link in your profile by adding the missing "O" so that he starts recognizing you :)

• We like chasing you more than we like the actual prize. Something about the chase is thrilling to us. If you want him to chase you, just don't be so available all the time. When you are "available", be short but flirty with him. "have you been working out" etc..It'll make him wonder "does she like me" and get him to pursue you even more. Like I said, they key here, is making yourself unavailable!

• Americans is very strange !

• just catch his eye and make eye contact for a few seconds or how ever long your comfortable with then look down. that is a pretty sure fire way of knowing someones into you and its not like you have the chance of rejection but it opens up for him to approach

What Girls Said 1

• I say start talking to him and drop hints that you like him