Do ex's hurt when an ex they dumped change their relationship status to "In a relationship"?

So I am now taken, and I have a great boyfriend.

Should I change my status from single to In a relationship? I am afraid my Ex boyfriend might get hurt. Everyone says he looks at me a lot. and over does it with his gf's PDA, and he hates it. But feeds into it out of spit.

I have moved on but am afraid of hurting him, despite him breaking up with me.

Any advice would be useful!

• YES
  • NO

Most Helpful Guy

• If they care still, yes it hurts. For most, they wouldn't even see the status change.

What Guys Said 5

• Yes it can still hurt, and yes you should change your status. He is an ex for a reason, and you have the right to move on. Do what you want to do, don't worry about how your ex feels. It's not like you are rubbing it in his face.

• Girls like you disgusts me. And I'm serious.

my advice is, take care and care about your current boyfriend and show him some f***ing respect.

you're more concerned about your ex than your current boyfriend. it's sickening. who cares about your f***ing ex? he's your - EX, remember? ex. repeat that after me; "he's my ex."

i'm not really this FB status sh*t, but if your boyfriend/colleges take that seriously I think you should change the status that represents current state.

• I respect your criticism. my ex though contacted me a few days ago, asking to go out for drinks. and I said not. I am not keeping my new boyfriend on the hook. but I bring it up because he still does like me. Its just my current boyfriend, has trust issues and wants it on my profile...

• Thank you MollyAnn, I really am just trying to spare his feelings. I understand he broke up with me. but he left me out of the blue for another girl. I want to be happy, and I am, but at the same time knowing it may hurt him makes me want to do it less. I am like that with everyone. Not just my ex

• I ultimately agree with you, but I think you're being rather harsh. It's not wrong to be concerned about how your actions affect others, and these issues can be confusing.

• Now is about you & new guy. You are free to do as you please to pursue happiness without regard to your past. Whatever his feelings are, hurt-happy, his choice to end the deal & set you free comes with joy? and consequences.

The only consequence YOU should guard is that NOW he wants you back, only to dump you again.

• Hahahah silly fb drama. If he feels that butthurt over you he should of never left you in the first place.

• Still I don't see why your going to care about someone's feelings that can give a sh*tless about yours?

• why do you assume, he left her?

• If the break up was really bad, no. If it came out of nowhere, yes.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes, it can hurt to see that someone you used to care about (or still do) has moved on, even if you don't want it to bother you. But that doesn't mean you should let concern for your exes interfere with your current relationship. It's nice to be respectful of your exes feelings, but not at the cost of those of your current boyfriend. Don't flaunt your relationship directly at your ex, but don't hide it from him either. You owe it to your new boyfriend to be present in the relationship and open about it. There is no reason why you should have to keep your relationship status a secret on Facebook. If your ex doesn't want to see it, he doesn't have to look. Plus, he is the one who broke up with you.

• I think you should change it, if you don't do it because you're afraid of hurting your ex then you're really putting your ex above your current boyfriend (not a good move). If he gets hurt, he'll just have to get over it himself, you've both moved on, there's no reason for you not to change it. Personally, it wouldn't hurt me one bit if my ex changed his status, regardless of whether I have someone new or not. And one thing I've stressed to many people, fb is just fb, it's not the be-all-and-end-all. People need to stop letting it run their lives, it's crazy!

• i don't see why you should care .you shouldn't be obsessing over him. he shouldn't be stalking your fb, move on.,

• thats what she's stated.

• I know he looks at my profile a lot. because a few people have said he checks up a bit. This whole thing is a mess. instead of changing it, I hid my relationship status for now. But he knows I am seeing someone. I know he is an ex. but he broke up with me out of the blue. I am just trying to be nice and mature about it.

• @thats what she's stated

not if she is still writing / 'worrying', about him. that's _not_ moving on.

worrying about hurting someone you're no longer with, is just a -somewhat- socially acceptable way, 'to not let go'.

• I am not liein but its going to hurt but a life him have to live with it...yea girl change the status. the ex is your past, you get over a him a the future you they now .change the status

• DEFINITION OF "EX": Thanks for the EXperience. Our time has EXpired. Now EXit my life.

• I agree...! Your ex is your ex! He broke up with you...! Show your current boyfriend some respect!

• It doesn't hurt me, but I do get curious to see who they are dating.

• YES this hurts so, so much. This happened to me but it was a long-distance thing we had. Communication got slow because of an illness I developed upon returning home, in which I had constant brain fog and chronic fatigue among other things, and wasn't able to readily communicate to him the situation easily. I'm assuming he thought I was ignoring him, and having had to take so long added to the pressure and stress of writing to him, which created more fatigue and hence brain fog in and of itself. A few months after he had written an email wondering where I was, I finally had managed to get myself back on my feet, and I gathered together all the scraps of drafted and fragmented letters to him to finally write an entire email. I signed on to Facebook only to see that he changed his relationship status from "single" to "in a relationship". I had never experienced such a pain in my gut. If only I could have written sooner. I missed him so much, and still do. But I have doubts I will ever be able to tell him that now...

• im sure they do esp if they still have feelings for them

• Who gives a @#!*% about your ex? You've moved on. He'll get over it. If you're concerned abouto his feelings then maybe the two of you should have stayed together.