When an expert claims to be an expert?

Have you ever met someone who calls them an expert, but the advice they give is no good?

Or how about this, have you ever met someone who gives the "illusion" that they know it all, but really they don't know diddly?

They may give there opinion as if it's a fact, meaning they feel their word is THE word. With nothing to back it up with. No life testimony, no facts, no statistics, nothing...and when you try to disagree with them, they become offended. Giving an opinion is okay, state it as that.

Maybe you've been through something, and they pride themselves is being able to help you, they strut around like they know it all, but really. they don't. >= ( Giving advice is also cool

Why I'm asking/ranting? Because I've just went through a situation like this and I just wonder, how do you, personally handle this situation?

Does having the rank/name/ position of "expert" brainwash someone into thinking they're perfect? Does it give them the air of being "all knowing?"

Whether it be on the phone, through a website, or in real life, is doesn't seem to matter.

These "experts" can be Website creators, doctors, lawyers, cops,CEO's, etc.

Do you ignore them?

Do you leave?

Do you call them out on it?

Do you want to punch them in the face?

Give me some of your own personal examples, stories, how you feel,etc.

You don't have to tell me who they are if you don't want to.

If there's anything in missed, let me know.

sigh... >= (

• I ignore them.
  • I call them out.
  • I want to punch them in the face.
  • I just leave.

Most Helpful Guy

• I had a hard time picking between A,B or C.

There is no such thing as a "fashion" expert. I also hate food and art critics...I remember on some ABC show they pretty much exposed the fraud of these experts.

They took these art experts and had them describe what era the paintings came from and how they would describe the artist...only to be told later that many of the paintings were done by a 3 year old.

Another is this snobbish Washinngton Post food critic who actually has a snobbish, elitist voice giving 2 or 1.5 out of 4 stars just because "...the food did not have the elegance of rigor." WTF is he talking about?!

Those are my 3 most hated "experts". Just another excuse for a job. I'll go to Yelp if I want opinions...because opinions don't make you an expert.

What Guys Said 10

• Shit, sadly they are EVERYWHERE! I am more of a talker then a fighter though. I tell them exactly what I think about how they are acting and I inform them politely that what they are doing is ignorant, pointless, and is wasting my time. I call them out.

• Or lord, plenty of times. I lost track lol.

• You just have to keep humble and have listening skills, and realize that there is something you can learn from everyone.

People like that tend to get a bad reputation anyway, I think it is generally best to just avoid these people as much as possible ha ha - unless you have to frigging work with them, or in a relationship with them. Smh.

Then it is a matter of your people skills. Pamper to their egos I say. You never know, the person may actually know a fair bit and you can learn something useful - then you actually turn a negative into a positive.

• Usually I am such a guy

A lot of people are

• Now I'm an expert in these sort of things you see I study human development on my off time doing numerous cross referencing and research analysis in surveyor/questionnaire databases and have come to a conclusion that using empirical evidence is the only way to combat such groups of people. If we all just developed and processed an adequate level of information we could be aware and weary of so called "Experts".

• I have been in sales/customer service for my entire life..eh..maybe we will chat? Hugs & Kisses...(:(:(:

• I don't take anyone too seriously, even less people who claim to be 'experts'

• Im always willing to learn from the best. Claim or nor, I'll give a try.

• I don't know why but the amount of text, breaks and question marks I saw in this question put me off and I couldn't bring myself to read it.

• Yup, some of them professors.

What Girls Said 1

• I meet them often. I get to deal with the "expert" sales guys, the "expert" advisers and every other idiot that thinks he knows everything because they've probably ticked my father off once too many times and so he put me in of dealing with them. I usually just smile, say "that's nice" and show them the door. I also know a few that run the other direction when they see me coming because I did have to call them out.

Met one the other night, at a meeting where he said he was the expert on cutting hay and was throwing out advice the entire time. He kept going on and on about how our parents didn't know jack about haying, so I asked him if he knew who my parents were... he turned chalk white and shut right up. Because three weeks earlier, my dad ripped him to shreds for giving out highly dangerous advice. Some people never learn.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is listen and watch. I very rarely tell anyone what I studied and what I can do unless directly asked. The smartest people, the ones you want to listen to are those that rarely say anything.

If someone wants to dig themselves a hole that they can't get out of, by all means, lend them a shovel so they can do it faster!

• Lol, "show them the door..." I love it!

• You can really confuse people by being polite, kind and nice... before they know it, they are out the door and you never have deal with them again.