Should I Follow-Up After Cancelled First Date?

I took a class over the summer, which ended a month ago. A few nights ago, a guy from that class that I talked to here and there found me thanks to social media. He gave me his # and asked if I would meet him for a drink. He invited me out a few nights later, all the while texting me, saying very nice things.

About 20 min before the date, he texted me saying he ran some errands with his grandmother and wouldn't be able to make it. I was upset as I had just left my house, he cancelled and it was via text (no call). I told him "that's too bad, but thanks for the heads up" to which he asked if we could meet up after my softball games (I told him ahead of time that I was playing that night). Knowing I'd be gross, sweaty and out late, I said "i won't be able to, but thanks anyway" to which he said "Oh, ok." I ended with "maybe another time" since I knew I sounded like a bitch. This was two days ago and I have yet to hear from him.

I'm just wondering if I should initiate convo with him? Is he even into me to cancel 20 min before without updating me throughout the day? I had no idea he was busy during the day. He initiated everything, so I'm surprised he hasn't reconnected. Was I too harsh in my response and that's why he's kept himself at bay?

So, I went ahead and swallowed my pride and texted him. I explained why Sunday night wouldn't have worked for me and asked for a rain check. He said he'd love that and we've rescheduled for this weekend. What a relief! Can you tell I'm a dating rookie?! Thanks for ALL the AWESOME advice. I really appreciate it!

Most Helpful Guy

• Things come up and people unfortunately do have to cancel at the last minute sometimes. He asked if he could make it up to you after one of your games, so yes that means he is still into you. You should call him and tell him you want to meet up again. You may have sounded a little harsh, but if you initiate a conversation with him, it will probably put him a little more at ease. If you text, add a smiley.

What Guys Said 2

• what he did is inconsiderate but he offered another time - which tells you he's interested.

but still, you should ask him out. because if you would say no to me, I would delete your number and never call you again.

• Should you follow up? I think you should.

What Girls Said 2

• The problem is, you're busy worrying about whether he's interested in 'you'. That does matter to some extent, but I say If you're interested in "him", you should go ahead and try to do the reconnecting, since it was last left up to you. Wasting precious energy and time worrying about if he's interested or not puts you in a position of weakness. Take control, make it happen, or move on. I say, make the move. If he's not interested, no harm, no foul. On to the next!

I wish you luck in love.

• you absolutely should NOT follow up. Let him follow up, since he cancelled the date 20 minutes before, and for running errands with his granny no less. I tell you this surely, if you call him and "follow up" you will always be chasing this guy. But if you wait, don't contact him NOTHING, and he does call you, then things will go well. This is about HIS level of interest, not yours, you did not cancel, he did. and for errands, that's a shoddy excuse if you ask me. But no matter what, you can give him another shot. You do that by letting HIM call you.

good luck!