Do you guys believe in fate?

I met this guy on Facebook randomly, and we started talking. We talked for about 6 months and then I moved to france. He lives in france but in a different city, and he came up to Paris and we met up and had the best 15 hours ever (clubbing, saw this cool art thing, etc) we didn't hook up or anything, it was just really awesome the connection we had and now we're planning to take a trip to Berlin.

Do you guys believe in fate? because I honestly think this encounter with the guy was meant to be; I'm not the type who meets guys from online but this was just natural and I just had to do it and he feels the same.

Most Helpful Guy

• hahaha... I saw fate, and I was like, "Hmm this is very philosophical of her..." then the first sentence I read is about Facebook. Facepalm.

• I KNOW I know, but that's the thing; Facebook was part of the fate here! I barely even use it so what if I hadn't accepted? what if he hadn't accidentally added me?

fate can be found anywhere.

• i don't try and control my life, I take each moment as it comes. letting go is the only way to truly live :)

my bubble is not bursted, I'm the first one to complain about those idiots who meet people online and then get attacked, etc. but this guy is legit and during the 6 months we talked I got to know a lot about him, learned about his life etc and he never said one creepy thing. he's an extremely deep and sensitive individual :)

• LOL "accidentally added" you? There's usually a reason. I doubt he actually accidentally added you. Even if his mouse did somehow "slip" and click "add friend", he could've cancelled the request if he wanted.

What Guys Said 18

• Fate? No. (Predetermination, yes. but that's a whole different subject) The idea may seem romantic, but it wasn't fate. That, by no means, negates the significance or importance of your relationship, though. The fact that it was a random set of events that lead to something wonderful for the both of you, even though it could have gone differently in a million different ways, just makes your meeting and experiences with each other all the more special and lucky and romantic, if you ask me.

• No, if one is to define fate as the mysterious connection between two individuals whose lives are so different that they are unlikely to meet, yet do, and bond on a deep level.

I will say, however, that if the experience is positive, there is no inherent harm in feeling this way.

Different sciences describe this phenomena and conseqentially complicate it to extreme degrees. There is no harm in this either. The only harm I see coming from this fuzzy logic (e.g. One meets another despite many barriers to connection. Meeting another in this mysterious manner is magical. Therefore, there must have been an intelligent diety who fostered this connection.) is that the relationship can be taken intuitively to mean more than what it really is (i.e. soul mates).

• If I believe in Fate, I believe in a God. I do not believe in Fate,nor that what I do with my life is predetermined by a supernatural being/power. I don't believe "Freedom of will" is given by any said being, on the basis that would contradict 'fate', or 'destiny'.

Many people find it to be 'fate' but they're really just liking the person, which could've happened with anyone else. Same concept applies to 'miracles' they do not happen. Why? Because if they do, they wouldn't be a statistic or happen often. A Virgin birth is considered a miracle because it never happened before, thus making it a 'miracle'. An impossibility happened. The argument used to support that is witnesses, which I wouldn't trust half the people in our society to tell their heads from their asses, so one of many reasons I don't bother with "faith". I prefer principles, and philosophy.

• I suppose I do. Kinda how my and my wife met, except she was in China. Our first offline meeting, I had the perfect trip, nothing went wrong once. And we connected immediately.

• yes we are not so different from girls. we just hide our emotions but we are not good at.lol I would take a chance I did on here met the coolest girl I will ever know and then her accounts gone but my memory will not fade...:)

• LOL That's my pick up line "Do you believe in fate? Because the moment I saw you I knew you were meant to clean my kitchen"... but seriously I don't wholeheartedly believe in fate but I know it's possible. I don't want to believe in it because that would mean that life is predetermined therefore losing all my meaning and freedom.

• I don't like the headache that I get from thinking about things like this.

I would hate to find out that if I were to die, an old cripple on the sidewalk of Skid Row, that it was God's fate for me. If that were to happen, I would want it to be my fault. Not God's.

• If you believe in a god who is an omniscient (i.e. all-knowing) being, then fate/destiny is an inescapable consequence of that belief. That also negates free will. Interestingly, I am an atheist and I still think the universe is predetermined and that there is no such thing as free will, for completely different reasons, though, obviously.

• that all depends ... it seems your rich and just have a lot of options in life so maybe fate isn't the the thing. but I do believe fate exists just not in those perticular ways.

• No, because I believe in free will.

Fate and free will are two incompatible concepts. You can't believe in both.

• You CAN believe in fate and free will.. if you say otherwise you either haven't thought about it enough or you've thought about it too much.

• Obviously NOT everyone agrees that they are incompatible

• Everyone who has studied and actually considered the philosophy of free will using logic does agree that free will and fate, as commonly understood, are incompatible. I don't care if anyone who hasn't studied philosophy disagrees. They don't know what they're talking about. It's simple logic. There are compatiblists who believe in both "fate" and free will, but they can only reconcile those beliefs with an augmented definition of free will that are not truly free will at all.

• I believe we make our own fate.

• It was a coincidence, or most likely he was just stalking you and just making you think it was "random" that you met ;)

But on a larger scale, no, nothing is determined by 100% - you have all the tools to shape your fate, nobody has already done it for you.

• nooo we planned to meet! he told me he was coming up to Paris haha. that would be way creepy if he just showed up.

i agree that you shape your fate but sometimes life seems to nudge you in a certain direction.

• Yes, right, but I guess that's about 10%, the rest - the 90% is what you do, how you shape everything.

• I believe in both fate and free will. How does that work?

Isn't every man's fate death? We are all headed there. But within those confines, we have free will.

• I believe in coincidences.

• "There's no fate but what we make for ourselves." - Sarah Connor

• There should be some pattern of life based on where we born and people call it fate. There is no solid proof in a materialistic point of view to define God. We assume there is God but assumptions can be right or wrong at any time. We know only nothing about this universe so nobody can say that there is no God. It is better not to think about that. Religions say this entire universe is build just to support we human beings because we are precious to God that is a blunder. Thanks

• Believe in fate? Not really like destiny, but I do believe in things happening for a reason.

• Coincidence. If humans really have free will, then their would be no higher force controlling our every move like that. Think about it, if it was fate then you would have no real choices. Everything would be decided for you. To remind me of the illusion of fate I like to think about couples who met in high school ended up together. The women are a lot of the times all " IT WAS FATE!". I then laugh and say yeah it was fate that you ended up with the person you went to school with for 4 years and lived 5 miles away from your whole life. Hahaha.

What Girls Said 7

• Personally, I think that everything is by chance and cooincidence. I don't think that there is some mysterious force bringing me to some person.

I think that if you are very lucky, you happen to meet someone who is your best friend, your perfect match, your sense of humor is spot on and its amazing.

For the rest of us, I think there is a lot of settling involved. I think that for the most part, you find someone who is pretty cool and it works for the most part. You love each other, but it's not as if the stars alligned and its spectacular. I think you end up settling for what you need rather than some ideal. You find someone who is most of what you want, who loves you and can provide for you.

• eh...i don't like naming stuff fate and destiny, but I do get a little awed when stuff like that happens. I guess it's coincidence... but at the same time, I'm a faithful, spiritual person so I do believe in connections, energy, etc... I mean, if you found this deep connection with this guy, great. I'm glad, and good luck.

personally, I would take that trip to Berlin with him + a few friends. you still don't know him just yet. there's a lot of weirdos out there (no offense) and they mostly start off seeming normal. Be safe!

• Do you guys believe in fate?

No

• No, not fate, because there are an infinite number of parallel universes where every other outcome happens, so you were just lucky enough to get the one were things went well.

• I kinda do. But that's great(:

You can't find guys like those everyday who will travel to where you are just to see you AND take it slow. Lucky one. Haha.

• Somewhat.

• Yes but I also believe that there are choices as well.