Should a guy always tell a girl he likes her?

Say I worked with a girl or I had a female friend and she was very pretty and we got along well, but I didn't think she would be interested in anything more. Should I tell her I think she's pretty, although I expect nothing to come of it, or would that be making things awkward? Would she like to know, or do I become just another guy who's fawning over her?

Well what about girls that I talk to at work/school for just a few minutes, I can't say I think she's pretty?

Most Helpful Girl

• Any girl would be flattered when a guy calls her pretty - even if she doesn't like him romantically. No girl - and I mean none - would think a guy is weird if she's being complimented. Truth is, the girl might even be more attracted to you when she knows a guy thinks she's attractive and lets her know. Even if she won't be, what have you got to lose? :)

What Girls Said 8

• I've worked with a ton of guys, and it never hurts to be told you're pretty, and usually doesn't come off as much more than a compliment. Don't look deep in to her eyes while drooling and say "you're preeeetttyyy," ha ha yes that would be ackward, but a "hey, you look really nice today," from a friend, guy or girl, is almost always taken well.

• "You look really nice today" is not as bold as "Hey you're really pretty." I tell girls they look nice today all the time lol

• Yeah and both are pretty subtle. I personally like to know where I stand.

• Agreed. But if you don't want to come off as clingy and such then it's the best way to go, but "hey you're really pretty" isn't necessarily shooting yourself in the food as long as you don't sound like you've been practicing it in the mirror or anything...

• Tell her she's pretty, she would like to know.

• You can, just be confident when you say it, it'll sound like you mean it.

If you waver there's room for doubt because if you believe something it shouldn't be too hard to say.

The more fluent you say it, the easier it will be on her to react even if she does seem uneasy at first. If a girl hasn't heard this a lot it can catch her off guard so her responses will most likely be ... I duno, fill in the blank, a little lost perhaps.

• For me personally, I'd rather a guy tell ME if he likes me, I feel it's better to have things in the open.

• It really depends- can you deal with being rejected or is not knowing what could have been worse? Of course, she could always turn around and want something more as well. You have to decide if its worth the risk.

• I guess since I wouldn't be expecting anything to come out of it and wouldn't be looking for her to say anything back, I wouldn't be worried about rejection, I would laugh it off.

• Sometimes it makes relationships easier, sometimes it makes people uneasy !

• don't do it, I think its not worth the risk... but its your choice

• Girls take more stock in non-physical compliments. A guy who says "You're pretty ... often comes across as saying "I just gave you a non-personal compliment about how much I want to have sex with you. Please let me."

Saying a girl is pretty isn't a great way to say "I like you." It's not really bad, but it's not really special, either. Noticing things about her that are unique is more special -- that you like her taste in music, or that you noticed how nice she is to her sister or that you think she's funny, etc. Most girls find those kinds of things to be bigger compliments.

• So if I like a girl but I know she's not going to be interested, I would be wasting my time telling her she's pretty? Basically doing nothing is better? I don't get how "she's pretty" means I want sex.

• Of course you want sex. You're a guy! An a female in an adult relationship should want sex with you! I'm just saying, that noticing her looks isn't a very meaningful compliment. It's easy to notice that someone is attractive -- we're hardwired to do it because of human sexuality. Noticing something unique and special about them takes more effort of paying attention to someone and seeing what makes them tick, so to speak.

• I think that the only instance in which a guy shouldn't tell a girl that he likes her is if she's in a relationship with someone else. However, if she's not taken, I don't see why it would be inappropriate to tell her about your feelings. At least she'll know that she has an option out there (even if she doesn't like you back), she'll be flattered that someone likes her, and you'll know if you truly have a chance.

What Guys Said 6

• i don't get why some are saying "dont EVER tell a girl you like her" , mainly from dudes and all the girls are saying "do tell her you like her". I've only seen a small bunch of guys say to tell her the truth. I don't see anything wrong in telling the truth. I think the guys that are saying NEVER EVER tell a girl you like her are PLAYERS and they must have gotten hurt in the past and frankly, I feel they are jerkoffs. I have a similiar question to yours. I like a girl on Facebook and I'm wondering how I should tell her without coming on too strong and scaring her away. I'm not going to hide my feelings forever. she doesn't live in the same state as me and we've never met before. she's just on my Facebook and I really really like her. I could even go as far as saying I'm in love with her. just tell her. what have you got to lose? don't buy all the macho crap on here of guys sayin "dont ever tell a girl you like/love her".. they're just macho creeps.

• You must definitely tell her the truth! Yeah, but before that, you mast think of the way you are going to represent the idea that you like her. In my personal experience it works similar to commercial (sorry girls). I'll explain how. Have you seen some advertising with some thing that does not look really decent but it get's the job done perfectly ? The success of that is hiding in presentation itself - "lets not focus on it's ugly appearance and show the way it works" in that case the view will get blurred or faded by the performance it self. You get the idea ? You better do get it, because once you'll understand it, lets say - it will be a lot easier for you to sort some "female" stuff out. You must think of several ways to present the idea the way she likes, I cannot advise you on that - you know her better than I do, that's for sure.

• That would just make things awkward. Keep it to yourself and go find other chicks so you'll forget about this one.

• I'm not talking about one girl, I want to know how to let any girl I see briefly that I think they are pretty, knowing it will probably go nowhere. I don't have one-itis!

If I knew how to "find other chicks" then I wouldn't be asking questions like this.

• You should generally SHOW you like her and see if she reciprocates interest. Steadily escalate with her

• It's hard to show girls I like them when I only see them for a couple minutes during work or school

• Been there. Very tough situation. Show your stuff in short, good spurts and go for it and ask her on a date.

• Just because you've gone this far, TELL HER! And ys, this will make things either awkward or better. And for your future, every time you start a new relation sh*t with someone, you must choose your path... wether you want to be friends, be f*ck buddies, or become something more serious. You have to decide the first seconds of first contact and then yo ucan star building it from scratch. Changing things is ALWAYS harder than creating new ones, at least in a relationship.

• Good point. And since I haven't seen that girl in 9 months, it would have done no harm to try and talk to her.

• Only if he wants to.

That's up to you, man. Use the cost-benefit analysis!