What do you think of online dating?

Whether its through Facebook or some particular online dating websites. I myself have never tried online dating. A couple of times I did meet some friends online living abroad that I can really connect with, and we figured if only we lived near we probably would be dating.

What do you think? Would online dating work? Or is it just for people who doesn't have a life?

• Not gonna work
  • Yes, it will work

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't work. Source: 1/3:

Short story:

A brand new store has just opened in New York City that sells Husbands.

When women go to choose a husband, they have to follow the instructions at the entrance:

You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are 6 floors and the value of

the products increase as you ascend the flights. You may choose any item

from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you

CANNOT go back down except to exit the building.

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband.

The 1st floor sign on the door reads:

Floor 1: These men have jobs.

The 2nd floor sign reads:

Floor 2: These men have Jobs and Love Kids.

The 3rd floor sign reads:

Floor 3: These men have Jobs, Love Kids and are extremely good looking.

“Wow,” she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.

She goes to the 4th floor and the sign reads:

Floor 4: These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and help with Housework.

“Oh, mercy me!” she exclaims, “I can hardly stand it!”

Still, she goes to the 5th floor and sign reads:

Floor 5: These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, help with Housework and Have a Strong Romantic Streak.

She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the 6th floor and the sign reads:

Floor 6: You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor.

There are no men on this floor.

Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

--------------------------

Source: 2/3:

Two part story : link

The only girls for who online dating works are those that don't forget that there are people behind the text and not ticks on a check list.

---------------------------

Source: 3/3:

Here's why:

There are a lot more lonely guys out there than girls. So girls get a lot more messages. Girls fall for the "I could get someone better" syndrome and just don't reply to guys who write nice or detailed things for her.

It might take you 5 seconds to delete 15 guys messages to you but it could have taken one of those guys hours to get what they wanted to say to you just right.

Now if you take into account that girls never take the initiative it means it will always be the guy trying to make first contact to the girl and always getting his messages deleted.

Eventually the guy will stop writting detailed messages and will spam a short generic message to any girl/spammer/fraudster with a female profile in the hopes of getting someone to reply. However this means a lot of guys send generic messages to a single girl who then gets tired and gives up or resorts to all out deleting in mass.

and so the cycle repeats.

What Guys Said 8

• i view it as a waste of time , online I couldn't meet anyone or if I did they were below average women . at the bar and club scene I''ve meet playboy hot women over the years , they'd never even read my email if I messaged them on plenty of fish . yet in real life I can get on there radar and actaully meet them in person .

i don't know online dating can work for some people but generally for guys its going to be tough to get even a handful of replies on those sites if you don't know what your doing . any half descent girl is going to get her email box overfollowing with emails from desperate guys . she'll get emails but she might not be interested in any of the guys .

• I've tried it before and the women there are SUPER finicky about looks. If you don't have a good photo (I don't take good pictures) or a photo at all, they're not even going to read your email or look at your profile. Looks seem to matter the most on online dating. It is not worth it, even on free sites. Also, a LOT of the "people" on those sites are fake, or worse, crooks. I've read stories online about drug cartels using online dating to hook some unsuspecting individuals and mess up their life for good because the law enforcement wants the easy conviction.

• the competition is more intense for guys than for girls on there

• I don't really know. It works sometimes but most of the times they are either batsh*t or trying to strike up a conversation is like trying to talk to a napkin.

• It is quite frustrating. You cannot be sure if the other person is genuine or not. I have tried it, but am not sucessful.

• for girls it will work, almost any girl, but for guys, only a very few fraction of a percent of guys on there will have any luck

• i think it's good for people in general.

• I tried it before and it didn't work at all. It was also extremely embarrassing when others found out about it.

It lasted a long time. I thought it was going well but really it was just a really messed up thing. Possibly because she got pretty crazy at times. But also because there was nothing to it - just weird virtual actions, yknow? Like *kiss*, *hug*, etc. I felt weird a lot of the time writing out that stuff and by the end of the very long relationship, I found myself searching for excuses to get out of it.

We did have a lot of good times (and some very bad times), but in the end, it was all a very weird and uncomfortable experience, and it has to be the most embarrassing thing I've ever done. I hate talking about it to other people.

Fun fact: we met on this site haha.

What Girls Said 8

• I've got a little bit of a mixed review. I originally went online to look for guys to just talk to and get to know. But y'know, that never works out on sites most people use for dating. I for sure met a lot of a**holes looking for one thing. You wouldn't believe how quickly you see someone's true colors as soon as you say no. I wouldn't give my number to a guy after a few hours of chatting and he called me a couple names and pulled some passive-aggressive thing trying to make me feel guilty.

Then there were guys that were genuinely nice and seemed really interesting. They weren't pushy either, so they did get my number after a couple weeks or days. I actually met I think maybe one or 2 in person. I can't remember right now. But the first one was nice and sweet. He actually sang and played guitar for me. But he wanted to make out on the first date and I wouldn't. He gave up after a couple tries, though he kicked me out pretty quick. A few months later he texted me out of the blue apologizing for being an a**hole. Accepted the apology, but didn't meet up with him again or continue talking.

I dropped the ball on another guy. He was interesting, fun and nice. I never met him in person, but intended to. However, it was after I got a boyfriend. I told him eventually and he stopped talking to me. Note that I wasn't going to cheat with him. I really did want to be friends.

Then there was a guy who came onto me. I think I checked out his profile first, but never said anything, but then he found me. Said I was cute and whatever, flirted, etc. We agreed to meet up for a hook up. But afterward he said he wanted more. For a month he tried hard to get me to date him. He was really sweet and we talked a lot. I lost track of time and he was super intelligent. I couldn't help but listen and be in awe of all the things he knew. I said yes, eventually. And we're still dating. It'll be 5 months in a couple weeks. He's so good to me I don't even deserve it.

Yes, with a vast majority of the guys that sent me a message I eventually learned of the habits that had them resorting to online dating. My friend has also met up with a ton of guys who seem great at first and online, but were just terrible people after awhile...so, no. I wouldn't really recommend online dating, but you could get lucky. Who knows.

• I think its lame. When someone has to look for someone on line, I can't help but think that there has to be something wrong with them that makes it so they can't meet people in person.

• No my mom does online dating and she has a life.

• i was actually just wondering that myself

• I voted that it will work. BUT...it really depends on the people involved and how honest they are with themselves and each other. I've personally had an online relationship, and it worked for about six months before we both realized that we weren't happy dating someone 1000 miles away that we would never get to see face to face. Now, almost three years later, we're actually still really good friends, so in a way it still worked.

I also met my current boyfriend on a dating site (I'm not sure that's what you're talking about), he lives about an hour away and we see each other every chance we get, so it's working great for us.

In the end, it all depends on the needs of both people, and their level of commitment to making it work. Most of all it's really important that you look in the right places and for the right things. If the conversations start with the person asking all about sex and stuff, it's not going to go for very long if you're looking for more.

• I don't think it will work because eventually one person is always going to be looking for something better, either when the honeymoon phase is over, or a few years down the line. Not saying it doesn't happen with people who meet in person, but it happens more when couples meet online.

• I think online dating is somewhat of a joke.. some people use it to toy with others I think.. I've used it a few times but never really met anyone worth while.. Don't waste your money... Chances are better meeting the old fashion way...

• My brother got married to a girl he first met through myspace. So it could work but there's also a big chance it could not work out. It just depends on who your dating online and if they should really be trusted or not.