Should a partner always take preference?

So say you are talking to a friend on the phone and your significant other calls, is it OK for you to tell your partner you will call them back? Especially if it is a friend you haven't talked to in a while, or the friend is going through something. I got reprimanded for the second time about this this by two different guys and it has me thinking. I don't want to make someone I am dating feel unwanted.

Most Helpful Guy

• Partners should always respect your friends. It's natural for you to prefer talking to your partner, but if you have a friend you haven't talked to for a while or is going through difficulty, your partner should understand if you have to call them back later.

What Guys Said 7

• Hey what's the deal if your on the phone talking to someone and you get another call don't you think it's rude to hang up on the person your talking to at the time because your boyfriend will get pissed at you! I think it's time to put your boyfriend in his place after all he is only a boyfriend not your master.

• Every situation is different. If you and your partner have been together for a while and you haven't seen your friend in ages, then simply politely ask your partner if you can call them back. In fact, you can probably do that in almost any situation. Answering your partner and asking politely if you can call them back almost always works. Simple acknowledgement and courtesy goes a long ways.

• Yes that is exactly what happens but he got annoyed by it

• Well a guy is never gonna like not being able to talk to you if your talking to someone else. but it is true that they should leave some space so you can finish talking with someone else. they should know that you want to talk to them too if you tell them that you're gonna call them back

• it happens... I do it sometimes and trust me then I gotta make up for it for an hour :O

i guess its understandable if looked at it from a non-biased clear point of view but few hardly do :P

• Sure it is OK.my partner ALWAYS has preference..but not ALWAYS priority..usually though.(:(:(:

• It's OK to tell him you'll call him back.

• I think depends on the situation, but since it'll probably not happen that often, you should be fine with telling him you'll call back.

What Girls Said 2

• I think it's totally fine to tell your partner that you'll call back because you are talking to a friend. If the guy you are dating can't even respect that, then I think he's too controlling.

• He said I was always talking on the phone but it was only twice

• As so many others already have said, it is completely fine to say you have to call back.

You are talking with your friend, and your SO should be able to understand that you want to be there for your friends, and he should be respecting that about you, and be proud of the fact that you want to be there for your friend.

If he gets mad about that, then maybe he doesn't respect you that much or your friends. And maybe you should consider your relationship.