What is your opinion on high school relationships?

Do you think they're destined to end sooner or later? Or do you believe that there's a chance that they could work out some how, and you could live happily ever after?

I know a couple that met in their freshman year of high school, and they've lived together happily since. They now have an adorable little girl, and are happily married. My dream is to marry my high school sweetheart.

• Destined for failure
  • If you try hard enough, it can last

Most Helpful Girl

• Every relationship is option B honestly - you get as much as you put forth.

Reason why young love - not even high school but into the early 20's as well, tends to be flaky is because both people are still at a tender age of self - developing; often it's a case of not knowing what either really wants in a partner, or either having some romantic personal flaw that is interferring with a successful realtionship. In psych they call this phase the " power struggle" phase in which both are struggling to understand the other while trying to still enforce what is comfortable for them in the relationship.

Most relationships end at this stage.

Now that's not to say there aren't some young folks that just work; you don't have to be an absolute expert in what you want or know of yourself to find a truly loving relationship - it's just a matter of adaptability and having enough sense of self and sense of the other person to make it last. Every little bitty thing will come to light, and usually it's the small things that escalate to a point of true issue. How the two of you cope with such matters is often the determining factor.

Immaturity and naivety exists in all age groups; so whether your older or younger, the dynamics do not change.

So it is very possible to get a high school sweetheart and make it last - but it takes two to do so. And there's only so much you can do. If life just doesn't happen to let you run into the right guy while your in HS, then hey, that's just how it is.

Every boy who smiles at you, isn't going to love you the way you need it. So keep that in mind and don't set a deadline for falling in love.

Your going to stress yourself way out.

I always say , " Go with the flow, and you'll know when you know ya know?"

:P

What Guys Said 5

• people start changing rapidly in their early to late 20's. I've lost almost all of the friends I had because we grew apart. there may be the one or two exceptions but most of them are destined for failure.

• Generally destined for failure, but if you try hard enough and there's real love, loyalty, trust, and communication it can work. But it's VERY rare. And most rush things.

• Destined for failure. It's almost never the case that high school relationships actually work out. They're usually just for the experience (in both senses of the word - to get experience in dating, and for the fun / exciting / enjoyable experience).

• Statistically. Not good at all. A lot of kids that rush into things. And swear there in love. But they really don't have enough life experience to understand what love is yet. But try telling them that. Teenagers think they know everything.

• They all fail, even the ones that don't.

Young people are bags of hormones. They break up and fight over the stupidest things.

What Girls Said 4

• There's always a chance. It's just not likely to develop in high school. I only know of two couples who were high school sweethearts and are still married to each other. I never had any relationships in high school and I don't regret it. But that's just me. Some people think that dating so young is a requirement, which I think is a stupid assumption. You can't possibly know what you want in a serious partner at that age because you haven't lived or experienced enough of real life yet. I know that I still haven't, but I'm slowly learning about what would make a good partner for me.

• It's very very tough. I only know one couple that made that. A friend of mine is still with her boyfriend from high school, no idea if that will last. People change a lot over those years.

• I've met a lot of married couples who were high school sweethearts, so hey, I'm not judging. I think they can be difficult in high school, but if you really meet someone who's perfect for you and you both have a decent amount of maturity, it can work out.

• Unfortunately I don't think they are destined to survive, sorry to those people reading this currently in one of those relationships.

I finished high school last year, I had a few "serious" boyfriends in school and I just don't think (from a girl's PoV) that the vast majority of boys at this age just aren't mature enough to have a long-term relationship at this age.

I also don't think it's that healthy to have a long-term relationship at this age, I think that it's important when your in your mid-late teens to have a lot of different girl/boyfriends because you are still discovering yourself and still finding out the things that you like and dislike and you can only really do that with different girl/boyfriends.

There are a few high school relationships that last, and I wish everyone the best, just it's not the end of the world if it doesn't last, even if it can feel like that.