Is having dated many people a good thing or bad?

Do you think it is a positive or negative thing to have dated many people before settling down with "the one" ? What are the pros and cons of having many partners?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most guys will view it as a con (whatever the guy views as "many partners"). This fact will be portrayed as a combination of the below:

*she dated a lot of guys because she's insecure/manipulative and wants the attention, or is "afraid of being single"

*she has low moral/ethical/character/personality standards for the guys she dates (therefore why there are so many failed dating prospects)

*she had a "bad boy" addiction and I need to stay away from her cauz she's not a long-term love prospect

*she's a gold-digger that dated guys for his money or strings him along for her enjoyment or for the "perks"

*she cheated on her boyfriends (as in more than one cheating-tainted relationship) in the past (not necessarily sex, but "emotional cheating" as in pursuing interest with other guys while having a bf)

And the most important of all:

***** she doesn't have the mental maturity and relationship qualities (communication, trustworthiness, compassion, physical/emotional support, intimacy, etc.) to be in a serious relationship *****

What Guys Said 2

• I don't think it's bad. I know a couple who met very young and were each others' first and while they're both happy, they say they sometimes feel like they haven't really lived when they were younger, like they missed out on something. Sometimes those who'd dated a lot of people feel more ready to settle down and are less likely to feel curious about what else is out there later on in life. Dating will also help you to figure out what you're really looking for, what kind of traits you really want and need in a partner, what kind of relationship works for you etc. Just because you have a few dates with someone and it doesn't lead to anything serious doesn't mean you've made a mistake, you were getting to know each other and figured it wasn't "it".

The downside is that majority of guys will judge you if you're honest about it.

• well there's really no pros. and the only con I can think of is that it means either they went along with it to get free food or had trouble getting in a real relationship

What Girls Said 5

• I think depending on how you these guys/girls its a positive thing. What I mean is as long as you weren't cheating or playing or whatever, you just dated a lot, then that's good. It really makes you see the kind of characteristics and traits about people that you may find you don't like. Or it'll give you a heads up next time on the kind of guys that you know you wanna watch out for. I don't really think there are many cons. As long as your being safe, and the relationship is healthy, then I don't think there is much to worry about.

• By the time you settle down you will really know what you are doing.

It's like relationship/sexual college.

The cons are...people can become callus. Nothing is special or new anymore cause you have done it all and seen it all.

I think it a double edge sword. Catch 22.

More experience increases one's socializing and sexual comfort and skills (guys do like this)

Guys don't want to be with somebody who is a doe eyed, innocent idiot--no matter what they say most men do gravitate towards women who know what is going on.

• theres nothing wrong with dating around, how else would you know what you like and don't ?

• It's only good if one learns a couple of things from those past relationships and tries not to make those same mistakes in future relationships.

• Good thing