How did you meet your lover?

This one is for all of you who have ever been in a relationship. Please impart thy wisdom onto those who are single or inexperienced.

Where did you meet? (ie, in class, at a party, at a bar, etc)

Who approached whom? (you or your lover?)

How did the initiator ask to start dating?

How long did it take before you officially recognized yourselves as a couple?

Do you have any advice for singles who are interested in dating but have little idea about how to go about it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I met my guy at a bar (classy, I know). He was a regular and I just started going there with my friend, who introduced us.

He was more aggressive than I, though we were both flirty when we'd see each other. It was mostly just a joke-y, flirty relationship for awhile.

After about 2 years of friendship and hanging out at the bar among friends together, you could practically cut the sexual tension with a knife. We each had our fair share of relationships and hookups thanks to said bar, and I guess after 2 years we finally realized it was our turn.

Funny, but when we get asked how we started dating, he says "well one night I seated her that I wanted her to sit on my face. The next night, she sat on my face and the rest is history." lol like I said, we each had our fair share of hookups, but I think we both knew from the get go that this was different. I went over his place the next night for a movie. Then the next night he took me out to dinner. From there it just became more and more about this deep connection and less about the face-sitting ; )

It took us about a week or so before we officially recognized ourselves as dating, but we'd known each other so long that we were already good friends and got that out of the way. I can say now with confidence that he is without a doubt my soul mate. Who knew that my soul mate was right in front of me for 2 years?

For all the single folk, inexperienced or not, I think the mantra "it happens when you least expect it" definitely holds true, not only with my life as an example but other friends and family, as well. Know what you want out of life, be comfortable and confident with yourself, and a significant other will follow suit when it's meant to be.

• Good to hear a story about meeting at a bar! Too many people dismiss it as a 'one-night stand' only place, but honestly it makes more sense to date people you regularly run into than strangers met during a walk through the park or at a concert.

Then again, another answer might disprove that idea (maybe there is a concert or dog-walking success story).

• Hey my parents met at a bar when they were in university. They've been married for a longggg time now lol

• See? It's not only douchebags and sluts lol

What Girls Said 8

• Where did you meet? (ie, in class, at a party, at a bar, etc)

Ex- we were both on the college bowling team and we met during tryouts

BF- He was my sisters Boyfriends roommate, I met him when I went over to party with my sister

Ex- I definitely approached him... he was so cute.

BF- I was with my ex when I met him and he told me the first time I met him I insulted him. When I finally was single I waited an entire year before anything happened.. and he definitely approached me... but we had been play wrestling all the time. I always thought of him as Just dan...friend zoned him from the start.

Ex- it kind of just happened and I wanted to be official.. dating without seeing others 7 months later asked me to finally be his Girlfriend with a card. (age 20)

BF- He moved to Utah and we were clicking so well when I was going to visit him I told him just so you know I told my family your my Boyfriend to justify flying out to Utah to visit a "friend" He said good because I've referred to you as That-Girl-I-Really-Like_and-cant-get-off-my-mind (ALL VIA Skype/text)

EX- 7 months (see above)

BF- dated for two months he moved we became official.

Go for it! Have fun. Ask her out to dinner or a movie and if you guys enjoyed each others company you will be texting and seeing what the other is doing next weekend. You will get a sense if the other is interested in you or not.

On the street. (no I was NOT a hooker, lol. See next question)

He approached me. He was actually a tourist and asked me for directions. I was 15 and he was 16.

Well this is where it gets complicated, lol. After he asked me for directions, I took him to the address and then he got me coffee after and we spent the rest of the day together. He was leaving like the next day so I got his email too, and when he went back to Europe we kept in touch. I didn't see him again until he actually moved here 5 years or so after we first met.

We started going to school together (same program) when he moved here for good, and we became closer in person, but it took almost 2 years for anything to actually happen between us. In December, he kissed me and came by the next day to ask if I would be his girlfriend.

Have fun, go out a lot and meet new people. They might not be dating material for you but the more friends and acquaintances you have, the more people you will meet through them and they might know somebody you'd like to date.

• That's a rare way to meet! I guess that knocks my earlier comment about people meeting by chance walking around.

• That IS inspiring.

• Is it? Thanks =) International love FTW.

In school I thought he was pretty so I tried talking to him :).

Me, because he was to shy to talk to me first. I went up to him in the halls and said hi, and by the end of our conversation we were trading numbers.

I didn't ask to start dating, I just stepped up and said hi first. We started dating when we were on a walk and he just said 'SO do you want to date?'

A week or so.

Don't be a coward. If you want something, go get it.

• We met by working with a mutual friend on a project she was doing. Neither of us really approached the other because it was a very enclosed environment (there was about 5 of us in a small space for many hours a day for about 2 months). We all got to know each other and the two of us kind of started flirting a lot. I guess it can be argued that I approached him since I friended him on Facebook and that made him think I might actually like him which lead him to ask me out on the last day of the project. It didn't really take too long for us to become a couple since neither of us dated a lot so we were pretty much exclusive from day one by default. It was about 2 weeks from our first date to the day we became "Facebook official."

Advice? I'd say just go out and do things that interest you. That's how you meet people with similar interests and who knows what might come of that.

• I met my girlfriend on Craigslist. She responded to an ad I had posted. I had asked to meet her face to face after we talked for a few days because we had crazy chemistry over the phone and within a few days of meeting I moved in with her...it was about a week later that we became "official". There never really was a dating period, we just moved straight into a relationship...and we've been together nearly 2 years now :)

My advice would be to so whatever you're comfortable with, even if its not what is considered the "right way." Just have fun with it!

• To be honest I would be scared of using Craigslist with all of the sickos out there. But if it worked for you then maybe it could work for anyone.

(still scared though)

• Where did you meet? : At a show My friends band was playing

Who approached whom?: He approached me. We were supposed to meet up and it was my first time meeting him so I didn't really know exactly what he looked like. .. He came behind me and shook me and yelled my name..I looked up and thought he was rather cute (:

How did the initiator ask to start dating?: we went bike riding to the beach and after wards we ate some yogurt at a park. He gave me a letter explaining how he felt and when I finished reading it he gave me a rose and asked me to go out with him ^-^

2 months. and we lasted 16 months together (:

Do you have any advice for singles who are interested in dating but have little idea about how to go about it?: Be yourself and be true. Don't go over the top if you aren't like that. It's the thought that counts and well yeah good luck for all you singles! (:

• Was he a blind-date?

• Correction: meant to say "it was the only time I've ever been on any date"

• ohh dang. well you should go for it !

• Havent met him yet:/

• Well, you aren't alone on that one.

That's one of the reasons I posted the question =)

• Which is why I gave you a +5 :)

• no one approached either initially. I was introduced to him by his girlfriend at the time for a group outing. We were friends for a few years. It took us about 6 months of dating to become a couple. Id advise to become friends and mold yourselves into a couple naturally and over time

• So don't go in trying to date off of the bat, but start as friends?

I wonder if the success rate of online dating is abysmal...

• yes that's best, I think the reason we have such a lasting relationship is because we werent strangers getting into a committed relationship and then getting to know each other, we knew each other already and had seen how the other treated relationships...etc I met someone online once, we were friends for a long time then decided to meet then we continued to be friends for a couple of years before we started dating, the important thing is that the intent is to build a strong and lasting friendship

What Guys Said 3

• We meet when I was about 10, we actually grew up together, I just dident know it.

I approached first

Well it was never really any dating more of just plain sexy time

Not till I was about 18 till I really feel in love with my one true love

All I can say is, I was born with my right hand like most of you, you may hate it sometimes but it always cheers me up.

• we were two strangers in the night,

exchanging glances,

wandering in the night what were the chances

we'd be sharing love before the night was through

• Well it was August 15, 1945 to be exact. It was Victory Over Japan day. I was in my Navy Sailor suit and I looked across the way and saw this smokeshow nurse. I ran over to her, arched her backward and then kissed her. We had a celebratory bang session upon bang session until my penis could no longer become erect. There was a famous picture taken of our initial love at first sight meeting. link The End.

• Actually I was kind of amused by this post...

• That was the intention.