My boyfriend has yet to introduce me to his family. It's been 5 years since we started dating. :(

I have been in a relationship with this guy for 5years now. But I haven't met any of his family members. Nor have I been taken to any functions. How ever, I did meet his brother for about 5mins (Meeting wasn't supposed to happen). I prodded over this a million times and he always comes up with some or the other excuse saying his parents are not too positive on love marriages and that he is not ready to take their torture and the drama that follows. I do not know what to do. After having several fights and arguments, he introduced me to few of his friends. I am pretty serious and I have introduced him to all my friends and family. My parents want me to tie the knot by next year end. I am worried.

Most Helpful Guy

• If a man has two women, its simpler if friends and family don't know about them. Introducing them to everyone is a sure way to get caught, or in the very least, get preassure about the immorality of running two.

The only hole in his story about the parents not being too keen on love marriages is that he hasn't mentioned their alternative, i.e., who they were planning to arrange him for. In all of the 5 years, you should of at least heard him fret about that. I would suspect no arrangements have been made and the parents would really have no ground to stand on in speaking against a love marriage without providing an alternative.

He could be telling you the truth. Maybe. :) Probably two timing you though...

What Guys Said 4

• First, screw what your parents want focus on what YOU want

Second, the holidays are coming up take your pick do you want to see his family on Thanksgiving or do you want to see his family for Christmas or maybe your a new years type of person, either holidays are the perfect time to visit and meet family the drama that he'll face is the lashing he'll get from his mother over the fact that its taking him over five years to bring around her future daughter in-law

Third, have you considered there could be some serious issues with him and his family involving the relationship between the two of you?

• To me it sounds like you aren't the only girlfriend, are you sure he couldn't be sneaking around?

• funny. your parents want that? who cares what your parents want? isn't this supposed to be your life?

i am worried too. you're obviously just a little kid who doesn't have her own life and yet you're thinking about marriage.

• Maybe he hates his family, however - I see no reason why he wouldn't tell you that if that's the case.

One very precise way how to find out whether the guy is serious with the girl or just keeping her around for sex is to look whether or not you're introduced to his family and friends.

What Girls Said 2

• O_O? really? wow. hmmmm. < that reaction is just because of the title. hahahha.

The brother, that's a step. Well if you are talking about marriage then I would think he would and should introduce you to his family at some point. Do you want to get married? or is it your parents wanting you to get married sooner rather than later? If it's you who wants to then you should talk to him about it (marriage) and see what his plans and thoughts are.

I can understand if he has family issues and doesn't want to show you all of that and if he had to grow up around it...then it might be hard for him as well. If his parents are together..or not...well either way if they are then try to get him to set up a dinner or something for the four of you to get to know one another or if they are not together try to get a meeting with them one on one. I believe meeting the family is a big step and if you have a crazy one or dramatic one then taking them on piece at a time is very helpful and less stressful.

If you already talked about marriage then you should tell him that you're going to have to meet his family eventually and that you feel as though he may be keep a side of him to himself and may be may not be for good reason but that you want to know all of him and that his family is apart of him as well. If you get married, that they are not just his family but yours and you will accept them as you have him.

So all in all familys can be crazy but you learn to deal and love em anyways. (usually) hahahah.

Hope it helps ^_^

• obviously you're from a very different culture but if he was my boyfriend I would have dumped him years ago. one year is the maximum amount of time I would go without meeting a guys parents, if he hasn't introduced me by then, he better have a damn good reason

Even if his parents are against you, after 5 years you can expect that he will deal with one way or the other