Online dating - do you prefer giving out your number before or after meeting in person?

I have been doing online dating for awhile and for me it comes down to chatting to the girl on the website, getting her number, calling her and asking for a date, going on the date, and then seeing if we would continue with more phone and in person conversations.

When doing this just recently a girl said on the website that she prefers to meet up before giving out her number. This paradigm interested me and makes total sense from a girls perspective for security reasons.

My question is for guys and girls that do you prefer giving out your number before or after meeting in person for online dating?

• Talk on the phone before meeting in person
  • Meeting the person and then exchanging numbers

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer to email a bit first. Then live chat alittle, Then talk on the phone, but the guy will give me his number & I'll call him and block my number until I'm comfortable with him. Then we'll meet in a public place. I don't give him my home address for awhile, again, until I get to know him well. You have to remember, he is a stranger, so he's not coming to my home until I know more about him. I don't even give him my last name until we've met & I know there's going to be a 2nd date. No reason to. I have been on 8 1st dates, or "meetings" and I knew I'd never go out with them again, so why give out my name & # to them?

What Girls Said 8

• I'd give out my number before meeting because I can always change my number but this guy could follow me home and have my number and sh*t could get dangerous. I'd rather they have my number and I get t know them for a while before actually meeting up...

• I gave my number to one guy who I only knew online before. It didn't go well because I got shy and he thought I was a different person, which led to many other problems and disagreements between us. So I don't think I'll be doing that ever again until I actually meet the guy or can talk to him face-to-face on Skype first.

• I actually met my fiance online. I gave him my phone number before we actually met up. BUT it took a long while of chatting before I agreed to give him my number or meet him.

• I would rather exchange numbers with a person I just met than talk on the phone with a total stranger that I've never even seen before.

• Duh! Exchange numbers first THEN meet the person.

• i would say before..how else would you meet up...or if something came up and couldn't make it last minute ..

• We would schedule something on the website. Your response is the reason that I get a number in case something does come up and we have to reschedule. I'm going to try this second way to see how well it works.

• After. Gotta meet in a public place, make sure he is who he said he was, and that he's not a creep.

• I don't like giving it out before, but I usually have too. Most of my dates are in places where I could easily get lost and would need to text him for more information.

But ..meh. I'm a pretty good judge of character and date guys that I'm pretty sure aren't crazies.

What Guys Said 8

• After so I can explain certain rules of the phone use.. Not for security reasons on my end.. Just for the fact that I hate to give out my number period. I hate phones! I've come to notice that certain people LOVE to text, and or talk for HOURS on phones! I'd rather meet up for coffee or a drink, maybe dinner and then we can talk for hours. Nothing beats facial expressions! I can then tell whether a person is full of sh*t, or kidding around or being completely honest about something. I have good social skills, and I want someone who does as well.. It sucks when someone is open and has no issues talking to a phone, but nervous and timid in person..

• Logistically that girl made a very bad choice. Also from a security point of view it's also seemingly a bad choice.

Phone number 1st then meetup. If you're late, can't make it, can't find her or whatever else you can give her a call.

Plus you can delete a weirdo/creep off your phone or block his number, you can't exactly delete a weirdo/creep from the conversation when he's right in front of you. And wouldn't you want test out to see if how the dude fits to the personality he converys through text before experiencing it in person?

Edit: I see a high number of girls making this choice, which I would call a mistake. Why would you set a meeting from an online site without giving out your phone number so you can find each other, that's just a recipie for f***ups and awkward situations.

Does anyone care to explain why it's better to transition directly from text chatting to in-person conversation by skipping the seemingly natural escalation of a phone conversation?

• Haven't really done online dating, but generally when I meet people online will give them my Skype name so we can talk because typing takes so much more effort, also reduces your multitasking. And will give my number because I get unlimited texting in all of N/A.

• Never done a dating site, but if I did I'd for sure meet then give out phone numbers. If too easy to create a new person on the internet, would prefer to not have to change my number because some creeper got it. I like to keep as much personal info safe as possible.

• exchanging phone numbers before meeting up in person is much better, because texting is much more convienient for setting up plans than having to check okcupid or pof every hour.

that said, someone should only give their number to a person online who has proven themselves to be different than the rest, and not just anyone.

• also. if you're afraid to give your number to someone, why would you even meet them in person.

• Well I do some dating sites and I wouldn't do cell numbers till at least meeting the women.Because she could be a psychotic stalker or a big hairy dude.Or a murder.You just never know.

• before I've always exchanged numbers, we talk on the phone first before meeting in person

• i dnt prefer online dating... photoshoped pics...hiding their true natures and all