If you want to go out with someone, is it important to specify that it's a date?

I feel like that might make it awkward calling it an actual "date" before the other person says anything about it.

For example, the conversation could go like this and it would probably be fine:

Guy: "Let's get coffee sometime - you free Friday?"

Girl: "What, like, a date?"

Guy: "Yeah why not!" (smiling... otherwise it could sound weird)

But if it was like this, it would (in my opinion) be kinda awkward:

Girl: "Yep! 4:00."

Guy: "Okay, it's a date!"

Girl thinking to herself: "Um... sounds kinda formal and serious... yikes... this guy might be a creep"

Girl out loud: "Okay. See you later." *laughs nervously*

Am I completely wrong or do you guys agree with me?

If you guys agree with me, are there ways to specify that you're into the other person as more than friends?

• Yes, it's perfectly fine to specify it's a "date".
  • It's kind of awkward to call it a "date" to the other person. Best to just not say anything but maybe do some flirting on the date to show it's more than friends.
  • It's kind of awkward to call it a "date" to the other person. Say something else to show it's as more than friends.
  • Other
  • I don't know / See results

Most Helpful Guy

• One thing girls love is confidence, overthinking simply things like this is just going to cause you a lot of headache, saying it's a date is the best way, subtle hints don't get you anywhere except the eternal friend zone.

What Girls Said 8

• if a guy doesn't call it a "date" then I just assume it's two friends meeting for dinner/drinks/whatever...even if he pays. I don't like to assume anything because that's when problems start.

• I prefer you call it a date so I know, but either works, I suppose. I like being more straightforward.

• I prefer it if it's not called a date. That way if it gets awkward or it's clear that it won't work out then we can still have a good time as friends.

• I prefer the straight forward approach, mostly cause I'm oblivious and assume its a 'friend' thing

• No. Its just a date...whats the big deal? And if I just wanted to just hang I'd say "No not a date. Pega just hang".

• I picked B

• A of course

• I would want him to specify, especially if I'm interested in him. If not, then I'll just think that he thinks of it as just hanging out as friends.

What Guys Said 4

• You should ask first, if they want to join you in something - like going to a concert, movie, etc...

And after she says yes, say something like "good. It's a date, then."

An event is better than a drink. And a date with a guy who wants to take her to one of her favorite bands is easier to agree with than a date with a guy who wants Starbucks.

• Yeah but going to concerts and movies aren't too effective as dates unless you're already friends, but even then... you want a date that'll allow you guys to talk. Concerts are better than movies cause you can enjoy each others' company more but even in concerts it's more about the band than about the date.

• Well basically for me a "date" would constitute hanging out with both people interested in each other as more than friends, and with both people knowing that.

• When I got divorced ages ago, I'd lost the ability to date. Knew I wanted to, just had no idea what to do. All the dating advice sites and relationship forums said to just get my foot in the door. Don't ask for too much - just the fifteen minutes it takes to sip a cup of coffee. Go to speed dating events, and describe yourself in 8 minutes.

Or gum chewing - no, breath mint dissolving moments.

Good luck with whatever you can get. I suggest happy hour lush dating.

• link

Or just ask. awkward is a state of mind, if your not awkward, she won't be

• Meh... I feel like double dates are either corny or awkward (probably a bit of both). Having it one on one gives you more privacy to do and talk about whatever you guys want to do and talk about on the date.

• yet you are asking for dating advice

• Doesn't mean I have to like all the advice people give me... and in any case, I never asked for dating advice lol. I was really just wondering about this question - I won't need dating advice anytime soon.

• Other: No

• depends on the girl. And you're screwed if you guess wrong. Odds are gonna be 50 50 you get it right.