How do you cancel a date (nicely)..?

I wouldn't normally want to cancel a date with someone, if you've arranged it you should be decent enough to give it a go.

A guy a recently met asked me to meet up with him again, and I agreed as he had seemed lovely up till that point. However, I spent the rest of that evening talking to him and he seemed almost confrontational to people around him (without actually starting anything, but I still felt a bit concerned) and I don't think we really clicked.

He comes back after the weekend, and every single one of my friends say it's a really bad idea to meet up with him again, they took a big dislike to him.

Anyway, I was wondering how do I cancel this meet up/date thing? I don't want to be rude, but I don't think it's right to meet up again (especially as I get the impression he is only really interested in sex, not an actual relationship). Any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• it mite seem harsh.. but I really think your best bet is to tell him straight up how you feel. otherwise he may just keep thinking you are interested in him and things may get worse because he

or if that doesn't work just come up with an excuse and say you had something serious pop up and can't make it. If your not interested and always say no to hanging out he will eventually get the point and move on.

hope I helped in someway

• Do I just mention that I'm not interested, or do I need to say that it's the confrontational thing/pushiness? I AM attracted to him..but he seems way too different from me in his reaction to other people..

What Guys Said 7

• Bite the bullet yes. You never know he might appreciate it. In the long run you'll probably be doing him a favour so he won't have to go through this kinda thing again, and can find someone who's right for him.

• Don't lead him on, as it could potentially be worse. Just tell him, you think you're better off as friends

• Family emergency, done. He doesn't need to know the details.

• The nicest thing you can do with a guy that you want to break things off with is to be HONEST.

Tell him directly that you don't think you two would be a good match, but you hope everything goes well for him otherwise.

If you try to make excuses just to be polite, it will hurt him even more by confusing him, and in the end, he will find out the truth anyway.

• Just tell him you don't think its gonna work.

• Don't beat around the bush. Just tell him you're not interested in him past friends. Guys hear the friend word and will 90% of the time go running.

• Just tell him "I didn't really feel any spark so I'm going to pass on going out again" and that's really it. If he asks why just don't respond. All he needs to know is you're no longer interested and that's that.

Being less direct won't get the message across and might end up upsetting him down the line. So just be upfront and then cut contact.

What Girls Said 5

• call him up and tell him that you aren't feeling in the mood and there's something else you have to really do that's more important. Tell him that you'll keep in touch.

I once had a coworker really liked me and he asked me out and we went to a movie because I didn't want to turn his date down. The thing is I barely knew him and I could tell he wanted a relationship which I only wanted friendship. I was engaged at the time and he didn't know about it. I just later while eating dinner (we did dinner first then we were going to go to the movies), I told him that I had to go home and wrap my nieces birthday presents and such because she lived far away I wanted to get it done asap and send it off tomorrow and I was honest. He let me go and we continued to chat at work and through the cellphone but I sort of just showed that I wasn't interested in a relationship and just friendship and kept on hinting that he should date other women. He got the message and finally stopped.

• Imagine it was the other way around.. You'd want them to be straight up and honest about it wouldn't you? I think you should just be truthful with him and tell him there's better girls out there for him.. Being honest is better than lying to someone and getting their hopes up just for you to drop them.. (:

• Never do sthg you don't want to...if you change your mind about him and are no longer interested that's totally your right to change your mind, esp in dating, doesn't matter if you already said yes.

Just make up any excuse or say you're busy, he'll know it's a lie and will take it as a no. Email him to cancel if he tries to reschedule just keep finding a way to say no.

Do NOT explain why you don't want to date him, he'll get offended and it'll create drama and entangle you with him and it's not his right to know or sthg, you don't have to explain yourself. Just cut off ties with him, ignore his calls/msgs after cancelling.

• This kinda bull is why some of you girls get stalkers, and then write on here saying. 'OMG how do I get this guy to leave me alone' - honesty is the best policy my dear. Wait you're 37 saying this jeez..

• Be honest. It's no use lying about some flaw that he may have. Maybe, he'd change it after being rejected for his behavior.

• I would just make an excuse (don't feel well, forgot you had another commitment, etc), but then he might just try and postpone the date. It might be hard, but maybe you should just tell him that you're not really interested.

• He knows I'm free most this week coming, so yeah. I guess I should just bite the bullet :/