Would you date someone who is jobless?

Would you ever date someone who doesn't have a job and doesn't plan on looking for one? Just asking because I've wondered about this kind of thing.

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends

Most Helpful Guy

• Jobless? Yes.

Passionless? No.

If you're not working by choice and you're not passionate about anything... you're just kind of existing... that's a major no-no. I don't mind providing as long as you share your passion.

What Guys Said 18

• Someone who has no money, no job, no income, doesn't volunteer or do anything else worthwhile to take up their time, and not looking for a job? Probably not.

If they're self employed, like what they do, and they're just starting out in their career and have no immediate plans to look for a job? I probably would, if we had stuff in common, we liked each other, etc.

I mean, most people would say that I don't have a "real job." Most would probably count me as unemployed; I've kind of given up on looking for a 9-5 after years of searching. But the offset is that I do work hard, I do try to treat my career as an actual "serious" job. I just don't make the steady income; different than someone who just sat and played games all day and isn't contributing.

• But if someone is self-employed, they have a job, right? They don't need to actively look for one...

• Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, if you're earning $1 an hour or working just 2 hours a week, it's a little bit hard to consider yourself "employed" in the true sense. But whether or not you have an "employer" isn't the point. What about people who own their own businesses? Plus, whether or not you are self employed doesn't directly determine how much money you will make.

• My answers throw off any census! Lol. I have a bachelor of fine Arts; I'm in Animation, and am a performer and niche type of budding actor.

I just did a survey where the woman couldn't figure out that "Bachelor of Fine Arts" is a real degree, and who couldn't figure out the concept of "self employed." and it's not the first time.

• Most likely would depends on the whole situation, meaning if they were looking instead of just being lazy.

• It depends, pure lazyness and expecting to skate by in life leeching off of others/me would be a big no.

• If she didn't have one but was looking for one then yes. If she didn't have one and never planned to get one and wanted to just stay home and "pay" for her dues then no because I view that type of girl as a lazy and very conceited, hypocritical bitch.

• Currently unemployed, I'd be OK with that.

Unemployed and not planning to do anything about it? No, I would not.

• Sure, why not. As long as she had a way of fending for herself, that is, even if it was through parents or something. I'm not gonna be paying for everything unless we have a really serious relationship. Otherwise, what's she gonna do if we break up, and also, who's to say she's not just with me for the money?

• Jobless? sure. No plans on working in the future? probably not.

• Sure, why wouldn't I? It's shallow and stupid to give a sh*t about a job. especially when the economy sucks for jobs like it does cause f*** the rich and f*** their greed.

And of course women vote no. Shallow bitches are shallow. Also illogical. Equating silly things to something else when they aren't necessarily equal. Like I hear "well he's not ambitious if he doesn't have a job" BULLSHIT. Someone can be VERY ambitious and not have a job.

• If she's going to school, it would be fine, as long as she doesn't expect me to pay for everything and go out all the time.

• I would, because, due to not just the economy, but the elitism that most companies have (i.e. not even considering people without experience, tell the newbie not to even apply), having a job is very rare, especially if you are just out of school or otherwise don't have any experience.

• Doesn't plan on looking for one? Hell no.

But just unemployed and looking? Of course, I've been there myself.

• if they didn't have a job I would date them. if they don't plan on looking for one I would not date them

• as long as she's anatomically correct, why not LOL

• It doesn't seem like girls do :/

• I'm gonna go on a limb and say, women will vote 1,000,000 no lol.

• Finally a woman with brains.

• Haha, thanks.

• I am now

• It's alright so long as I don't have to provide the money.. Like I wouldn't mind if she didn't need a job cos she'd won the lottery. But not like if she thinks I can just pay for stuff for her

• Yes, I'm in college and do not have a job. So if she did not it would be fine.

What Girls Said 26

• At my age yes I would date someone without a job and because if I didn't I would be a hypocrite (I'm jobless)

However, if I am older and the guy is just lazy and shmoozing off his parent's then no I won't date some bum like that.

I want someone who is going somewhere :) complacency is a huge turn off

• Dating someone who is unemployed but looking for work is fine. But it's not okay with me if they are NOT actively looking for a job, even part time. If they are in school and are too busy with school to work part time at the moment, I get that, it's okay. Just as long as they have some kind of career ambitions for the future. I have ambition for my future and I'd like my partner to have some idea of a future career so we can determine if the relationship can work.

If the person is jobless and not looking for work and NOT enrolled in school of some sort, well that screams laziness to me. They are surviving somehow - by freeloading off of mom, dad, and the rest of society - You use public services? Yes. Are you employed? No. Looking for a job right now? No... Freeloading off of taxpayers.

I get that it's hard to find a job these days. But when someone just totally forgoes the job search just because they decide they don't want/need to work, that's a complete deal breaker for me. I work and pay for stuff (and I go to school too!), so it would be nice if the person I'm dating contributes a little bit as well.

• Would I date someone who doesn't have a job? Yes. Would I date someone who doesn't have a job and isn't actively looking for one? Only if he is a student.

• Only because at my age, a lot of guys are still in school, and that's okay if he wants to focus on his degree and doesn't need the extra money right away. But if he didn't want a job ever? No way.

• If he has no job and no desire to look/keep any job, then no. I've been through that before, it ended badly, I couldn't do it again. I understand if you're honestly struggling to get a job and when you find it actually stick to it for more than a month(at the very least), that I can get. But when I feel like I'm the constant sole provider and there's no move to make it equal or at least do something to help out, then I'm sorry, I can't do that. Afraid it's a been there done that situation.

• I have... He was a musician.. or at least, an aspiring one...

They played a few gigs.. but not really enough to live on...

He was quasi homeless... usually crashing on his brothers couch...

• I said no, but honestly yeah it all depends, like if he's actively looking for a job then I'm okay with it. But, I know there are jobs out there at least around here and there is no excuse not to have one, I could find him one lol. I've had like 4 in the past yr, so many because I keep leaving for better pay lol.

• It depends, of course. If he's a student then it's okay. He just has to have some kind of goals and ambitions.

• Yes. I seem to have a thing for starving artists lol.

• depends. If they were studying or had just left their job and were going into another one I would. However, I wouldn't date someone who did have a job for an extended period of time and didn't intend on getting one. I don't like dating unmotivated, lazy people.

• I did, he never asked for money or anything and he was applying at a bunch of places a week so it was okay. I would say it depends on the guy, if he is asking for me to pay for everything and using me then no. If he is trying to get another job and applying at places regularly I would say yes.

• Yes I would but they would have to look for a job if they had no interest at all finding a job then no I wouldn't.

• I did, but I won't again. I learned a huge lesson. Now, if we were dating & they lost their job, yes, I would continue dating them.

• jobless is not a sin. heartless is. a good guy can be jobless but he tries many good ways to survive and to protect. what I appreciate from him is he has heart to do things for our good.

• I just wouldn't. It will only cause conflict down the road

• If their TRYING to get a job & just haven't found one yet then, I don't see what the big deal is, but if they are NOT TRYING to do anything with their life at all then, I wouldn't date them. A guy with goals and ambitions is very attractive.

• as long as he is tryign I'm OK but if he lazy then heck no. economy bad any1 lucky to get a job

• It definitely depends on if he was currently looking for a job or not. Because if he wasn't, then HELL NO

• If they had a good reason to be jobless (like studying), probably.

• When I'm in love, I'm in love. Period.

• some people have disabilities and can't work so I wouldn't say no unless they are just lazy

• Yes because they get a job eventually.

• What if he was adamant about not ever wanting to get a job though?

• Then maybe I'd dump him. But I've never been in that type of position yet. So it depends.

• Uh, no

• Well, I'm not paying for his sh*t, that's for sure. I'm not dating a leech. Sorry. And I kind of see that as inevitable with a guy who doesn't have money (although that's not the same thing as simply not having a job, you can have parents to support you and give you money) - that if I want to go somewhere or do something, it falls on me to pay for everything. I don't mind paying some things, but only if you have a source of cash to contribute as well.

Class incompatibility may be another issue. Will he be able to afford hanging out in the same places that I usually spend time, with my friends and family? That may be an issue for guys with jobs as well, though. I don't mind going to places that you can afford, but the relationship can't be all about you, what you want, what you can afford. If I feel like I am sacrificing too much on my end, and not being able to bring my boyfriend around the places that I love or do the things that I love to do with him, there's going to be a lot of frustration there. Class incompatibility is a real issue for people who aren't willing to 1. pay for everything all the time when the partner can't afford it and 2. tend to live a lifestyle that is beyond the means of their partners cash flow. Both apply to me for most men out there. I don't even make all my own money, I inherited a lot and my family is loaded, my dad is very business savvy (though not a businessman, he's a neurosurgeon) and made a lot of investments that I benefit from. I do make a pretty penny though, specifically for someone my age without children.

And I have tried this whole scenario before of dating someone who had significantly less money and these were issues. But he also had the downfall of lacking ambition or drive to do much of anything. I think he was suffering from depression, so I felt bad for him, but he didn't want to do anything and then got upset with me because I was born into money. I'm like, bitch, how about you get a job. If you're working at CVS you can at least pay for the salad at dinner.

• No. It indicates that they are lazy or has their priorities wrong.

Also, if you end up marrying, it will cause conflicts if one person works and the other refuses to. I am investing so that if I ever have children, I can provide some income when I'm not working, but it won't be enough. They would need a job.

Plus, it's not a good influence on the children.

• I would if they were still in school or had other commitments or whatever, but if not, then no... I might be old fashioned, but I want a guy who can provide for his family (I have a good job too, so it's not like I wouldn't be contributing as well).