What are some rules a guy should know about texting?

I know break up and asking out is a no no but what about those smiley faces or how long to wait till you respond to a girl to show your not desperate, you know stuff like that. I'm old school I prefer calling so I don't text that much but I like to know how the game is played so please tell me your texting commandments.

Most Helpful Girl

• dont say the same thing over and over, like

k

lol

:)

ect... men tend to do this when they run out of what to say, instead of thinking the guy is just speechless and doesn't want to feel like an idiot, girls tend to think that your bored out of your mind with us or want us to just shut up and leave you alone. but please always, always remember that emotions are never clearly texted... girls usually always assume the worst so be careful what you say, we can freak out really easy for nothing, and that is so not romant ic.

What Girls Said 5

• There aren't a ton of rules for texting. Talk to her when you feel like it, end the conversation at a natural stopping point (like "lol" or "k"), oh that reminds me- AVOID sending one word text messages unless you want to end the conversation. Also, if it takes her a few minutes to respond, DON'T resend the message. I had a guy once text me asking a question, so I sat and thought about what to reply for a few minutes, then before I knew it I had 2 new messages from him repeating the question and then saying "hello?" I'm not exaggerating lol, it was no more than a few minutes.

But otherwise, just treat it like a regular conversation! :)

• Don't do it too often.

If a girl mentions that she doesn't like texting (e.g., prefers emails, prefers calls, etc.), STOP texting and use calls/emails.

If you're emailing/calling her, DON'T text that you've emailed her.

Don't write very long detailed texts. Texting should really be for "Hey, nearly there" when you're trying to meet up with her, "Where are you?" if you're in a big noisy crowd, or trying to recall the specific name/number/address for a specific occasion.

Textarrhea is very unattractive and reveals a level of desperation and loneliness that no one should admit to feeling.

• I can't stand it and sometimes I do it ( ^_^ ) but seriously guys seem to do this a lot more they text one word. =_= and then! say ...why aren't you talking to mi? -___-; really? anyways try not to text one word all the time =/ and talk about whatever is going on with you and ask what's going on with them and what not.

• Generally, immediate responses are expected. If you cannot text at that moment though, it's fine to say "About to go into a class/meeting/head to lunch with friends...TTYL, K?" (Talk to Ya Later, ok?"

Emoticons are cute as long as they're not overused...then they make you sound like you're 14 (but I'm 37, so consider the source, perhaps). You can find lists of how to make them online with a Google search. If you have an iPhone, you can get some cool apps like Emoji...but people who have other phones cannot always see your emoticons, whereas everyone can see the ones you have to actually create with characters.

• If I text someone I don't like waiting for a response hours later and I don't know of any other girl who would say differently. Emoticons are cute too

What Guys Said 0