Guys and girls, will you date a friend of yours?

Or do you not do that? I'm curious what both sexes say here.

• Yes I would, often the best relationships start out as just friends. It's worth the risk
  • No I wouldn't, I'm not willing to lose a friend if it ever went bad. it's not worth the risk
So far the poll is turning out somewhat how I thought, it's usually girls who won't take the risk and date a friend. Why do you think that is?

Most Helpful Girl

• Like Poetic said, they are friends for a reason. Every person is different though. I would possibly give it a chance if I knew that even if we broke up we would still have that friendship that we had before we got into a relationship. However, most people aren't able to do that and it ruins the friendship if the relationship doesn't last.

• "they are friends for a reason"

what reason is that?

• Well there went their chance because once a friend always a friend. And I don't think the question asker appreciates you questioning his answerers and then trying to give them answers to things that aren't really questions.

• This is a public forum where people can ask others questions and I think this is worth discussing. So why is it once a friend always a friend? why can't your lover be your friend too?

What Girls Said 16

• All four of my serious relationships started out with us as really good friends first. I greatly prefer it, because it's not often that I even become interested in a guy if I don't know him well.

I don't know why it would be a "risk" to date a friend if you're truly interested in each other, wouldn't it suck to stay just friends when BOTH of you want to be together? That's just silly.

Plus, to me, it's "riskier" to just start dating a stranger :P

• Also @ your update: One other factor that explains the results is that some guys don't even become friends with girls they're not interested in to begin with. So of course they'd date them.

• Totally. If I'm friends with a guy, we have fun together, and I'm comfortable with him, all we can do is improve on that.

• Yes, if the attraction and chemistry is there then I'd definitely be willing to give a friend a chance.

• It depends on which friend, I have friends I have no interest in whatsoever. It'd be hard for me to get with any guy if were weren't friends or had some sort of friendly relationship before. :l

• yup

• I picked B, but not because 'I'm scared to lose a friend'. If we're just friends its because I don't see him as more than that. The feeling has to be there

• So all of your guy friends are unattractive to you?

• I guess. If I did then they wouldn't be just a friend to me, I would always see them as something a little more. I might have to accept that we are just friends if the feelings aren't mutual, but it doesn't change how I view them.

• I would, but none of the guy friends that I have that I've been attracted to like me in that way, so it's not because I didn't try, I just got shot down when I did try.

• Yes, I personally become friends with guys first and wait for God to tell me weather we're meant to be just friends or more. If it's more then I hint the guy, and try to get him to ask me, because I am not the girl to ask a guy out.

• Of course I would. In all honesty, I don't know why someone would date a complete stranger, but not a friend whom you know you have things in common with, and know a lot about. If anything, if I were to dare a guy, we'd have to have that friendship there...that bond. Sounds cheesy but that's just the way I feel.

• I would but that's me . and I think some girls feel maybe akaward like they are more like brother and sister I don't know but I feel like I would be closer do them then any thing

• i have dated two friends.

• Nope. They're a friend for a reason.

• what reason is that?

• So what you're saying is just cause of appearances, even though they might be great, you won't date em eh? Shallow

• They remain as a great friend rather than a great boyfriend. If I'm not attracted. Nothing will go beyond that.

On GAG, being shallow or in other words, wanting to be attracted to someone you like is almost a crime. Geezus.

• @update, because guys want sex and girls care too much about that persons friendship.

• Yes we would be perfect for each other but he doesn't want to.

• You have to treat the person you love as your best or close friend and maybe even more.

So I think yeah SOME friendships could develop to love relationships, especially if the two partners became impressed by each others' personalities.

But they have to be careful to not ruin their friendship too.. so they have to make sure that they love each other and can stay with each other.

• Most of my guy friends no. I did start dating a guy friend a while ago, he wasn't in my close group of friends, he's the son of a family friend, and we've been together for a long time. Our friendship beforehand made dating so much easier.

What Guys Said 5

• negative. If the relationship goes downhill, you not only destroy your friendship with them but you also destroy your relationship with her friends who can be your friends, and so forth.

• The best relationships are friendships first. You guys already know by that point how each other is and the interests they have. So you know if you're a great match or not by then. It's stupid to say no just cause they are a friend. Especially if you're just afraid of losing the friendship. That lack of trust in your friend would be enough for me to rethink the friendship.

• @Update: Well, why I think that is is because you're using such a small sample size and comparing that data. You can't try to come to a conclusion from just polling 18 people.

My guess is that the results would be about the same. Honestly, girls and guys are way more similar than most people make them out to be! People are people. Girls may have quite a few biological differences to men, but they think in much the same way.

• I think it's great ot date a friend,you already have built a strong foundation,and know each other very well,but make sure you're both attracked to each other,you don't wanna risk the friendship.

• Of course, if I liked her...