How can you tell, through text, when something's wrong?

For the past couple weeks we've been text nearly nonstop, in fact he's usually the one to initiate, today however it's seems different. I mean, maybe it's cause I've been in weird mood with my ex(not the greatest guy) on my mind, but then when I texted him tonight to just say hi and ask what he was up to(in the casual sense, non worrying), he says he's talking to his mom(definitely not unusual, they're ALWAYS talking) and his ex, then the texts seemed off in some way. And I don't know if I'm worrying because of past issues or if my intuition's kicking in...

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually only when there's a deviation from patterns. Like in the frequency of texts, or the style that it's normally written in.

What Guys Said 1

• Theres really no definitive answer for this. Just pay attention to texting patterns and an abrupt change in the specific patterns. That's my only way of catching a differnce...

What Girls Said 1

• You really can't, try asking him..or go old school and call him.

• I'd call him, but I can't really hear him that well on the house phone and he hasn't been added to the family's friend circle so it doesn't cost minutes(in the couple times we've talked on the phone it's lasted at least 2hrs), plus he doesn't have the greatest service. I think things are OK, I just am dealing with my own stupid trust issues brought on by my ex(he kind of screwed me up mentally. :/ )