Reputation? Does it matter in dating?

This question is directed toward those 21+. When you are dating someone, does his/her reputation affect your decision to take the relationship further? Say you meet someone and you two click. You two get along great and things seem to be going well. What if you began to hear others opinion about this person from common acquaintances that was negative? Would this change what you feel about this person? Would you stand up for this person or join the haters? Would you believe the things you heard, or dismiss it as rumors and gossip?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am currently in this situation. Some of my friends really don't like the guy I am dating right now because of some things they have heard about him, erego his "reputation" is negative. But I'm an adult and I form my opinions on my own, so I have chosen to keep seeing him despite these things. When I'm with him, I only see good things, so I want to see where it goes.

That's not to say that you should completely discount what other people say - I have kept all of it in mind and I value people giving me those "warnings", but I also believe that in order to judge someone, we must judge them for ourselves and not based on what we are told or what their reputation might be. However, it never hurts to proceed with caution and protect your heart.

Yes, people tell the truth, but people also lie, so you never know whether a reputation is correct or not, which is why it's important to make our own opinions on someone.

What Guys Said 1

• Reputation doesn't matter to me. The opinions of my friends would matter more. In particular, the wife of a very good friend of mine is an excellent judge of character. I'd be more influenced by her opinion, than anything else.

What Girls Said 2

• I would neither stand up for the person or join the "haters" but I would keep in mind what is being said about them. More often than not, there is some truth to it.

• it depends what it is and if I trust him