Why are people so into online dating?

is it just me who is all old fashioned? I don't get it. the whole idea of online dating is disgusting to me. like we don't spend enough time on the computer already? what is it? why is it so hard to see a person you like, approach him/her and just be normal. what are you gonna tell your grandkids? that you met online. the hell is wrong with people?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never online date. It seems too risky. Plus, you never know the truth about a person, just what they put up and what they tell you. The profile picture might not even be them, or it's insanely photoshopped or something else. Dating online seems to be the last attempt of the desperate people who can't get into a relationship in real life.

As far as the grandkids thing, I really don't see that it matters. It will probably be even more common in the future than it is now.

What Girls Said 11

• Some people just find it hard to approach people in person due to self esteem issues or having social issues, not being able to open up well unless its through text/writing as well. Not that I'd go on a dating site to find someone, but also some people just met people online through sites and just end up hitting it off really well that they end up dating. I'm sure there's odder ways to met people.

• I can't knock meeting people online too hard, that's how I met my best friend, through a message board and it turned out we were in the same clubs with mutual friends.

But for actual online dating, no, not going there. Guys with interests like mine are going to be far far away from a dating site. If I'm having a dry spell or seem to be finding it difficult to meet new guys, I ask my girlfriends to set me up. Less risky, they already know the guy, I trust their judgement and it can be much more entertaining. Not like blind dates or anything, its just they invite whoever they had in mind to a group hang-out, stage an introduction, something like that. I'd rather endure the ribbing I get from my girlfriends later on than have to have that awkward conversation when someone asks "how did you meet?"

• If you meet someone online, there's a large chance that that person is kind of lying or embellishing themselves. You have to take a person's profile with a grain of salt. I'm not into meeeting people online. Plus it's too much of a formal process. I prefer meeting people naturally

• I don't care for it either.

• Well many people are getting a whole lot more insecure and think that it's creepy when some stranger approaches you and randomly starts a conversation (not necessarily in the context of dating, but talking to anybody; guy or girl, essentially). Why are people getting more and more insecure? Because they haven't found the one thing that will give them security (in all aspects of life). I'm sure there was as much insecurity in the past as is now, it was just more rampant in other things more than it was in speaking with people.

• Its not my cup of tea. But my sis met her boyfriend online and he is a great guy. If it hadn't been for online dating they probably never would have met.

• Welcome to the club. We meet on Thursdays.

• I don't think anyone WANTS to online date. I think it's a last resort for a lot of lonely people.

• because some can't fit dating into their hectic daily schedules

• Its not always a bad thing. I don't think it should be the only place you go to meet people, but I don't see why meeting online first is disgusting. I wouldn't personally go to an "Online Dating Site", but there are places where you just go to "chat" out of boredom or whatever, and you meet someone you really truly hit it off with. I don't think it should be turned down or not given a chance just because of the way you both first met. You would of never of known that person even exsitied without having met online first.

• I met my boyfriend online... not through an online dating site, but through a church youth website. We just started chatting, realized we had mutual friends and then a year or so later met up in person and we've been together ever since.

As for actually going on online dating websites, I wouldn't do it because it seems risky. I know a lot of people though who've met online and are really happy with each other, so to each his own.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't prefer it, but I live in a small town so I didn't have much choice, and it's easy to find a lot of people, why limit your oppertunities. Sure there's it's flaws and lot's of people lie or misrepresent themselves, but not everyone. I still approach in person when I get the chance.

I don't really see how meeting online is much different than in person, or "met in a bar". It's not like you're or having an online relationship (if you are, then yeah that's stupid). You find someone, and meet in person. So what.

• Im not gonna lie, I do have self-esteem issues that does lead me to it but, it maximizes your chances I suppose? They havnt really been in any luck of my favor. But internet dating is certainly were Women date up & men date down.

• I thought it would be the other way around since more girls do online dating. I guess if your talking about women in their early 20s they have a lot of power since 20-60 year old guys pursue them.

• I meant more so in the sense that a woman that's a 5 or 6 in reality could get a guy that's a 7 or 8. While with the guy it would be vice versa.

• Because people see it as the only option. Becuase its easier etc.

When I make money or "meat" girls I do it face to face offline. Lotta people are just generally scared of strangers unless your like me who can make them comfortable.

• For someone like me whose exposure to women in extremely limited (I work only with men, and my fellow students aren't really creme of the crop since it's just a community college) - online dating is an ideal way to meet people.

• I see your point, it certainly would make How I Met Your Mother a lot worse. I'm quite shy and I get nervous when I talk to people I am already kind of friends with, so I can see the appeal, but I don't think I'll do that. From what I've heard, mostly people who are desperate for a relationship but are quite selective about what their partner is like and likes go on there. I suppose online you can find the perfect guy or girl, someone who is the same as you or the opposite, whatever some people like. I understand that you think people should be able to walk up to a girl and chat, but not everyone's that confident, you might walk upto a lot of people and get rejected and that can knock confidence, or you might find they are not the one for you. So as fat as I'm concerned they can if they want, it's not hurting me, if they find love then good for them.