Would you date someone with old self harm scars?

would they bother you? would you think of that person differently?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, it wouldn't bother me. I think it truly all depends on the person, though. For me personally, I would feel a sense of compassion and empathy toward the person, since I've gone through hard times myself. The only worry would be if the person is currently stable, since that could complicate the relationship, but scars are just scars, they are the past. I would never judge someone based on scars or anything of their past.

What Guys Said 4

• i wouldn't. and yeah it would bother me, and yeah I do think of these people differently - they're insane.

• They might at first, but I'd get over it. I can say I would wonder and read into them. But I do believe that it can be just a phase and it'd be part of her past. And most sketchy parts of a person I can just leave in the past.

So short answer yes. Assuming no new scars developed later.

• It depends how stable she is.

• I would be willing to look past the scars. The bigger worry is that they're emotionally unstable.

What Girls Said 3

• Getting involved with people who are mentally unstable can be a really tricky situation. I wouldn't rule someone out because of that, but I would definitely tread carefully if they hadn't worked out their issues yet.

• oh, "old." well, my answer remains the same. if they have worked out their issues, then it's really no big deal, but it's hard to find that out for sure sometimes.

• I would have even more compassion for the person. The way I see it is that we all have scars, inside or out.

• I did date someone with those scars, but it stopped bothering me. I think the only thing that bothered me is the chance that they might start cutting again. In my case, they did start, but this was after we had broken up. It hurt that he did it to himself, because I did care about him.